Cancelling DBCC SHRINKFILE with EMPTYFILE

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Cancelling DBCC SHRINKFILE with EMPTYFILE

• Are there alternative methods for rebalancing data among files in a filegroup? The method you describe above is the only one that I know and the one recommended to me by Microsoft support.

• I'd actually create a new filegroup and move objects in what way.

• Same. But in my case, you aren't able to add filegroups due to the vendor's application having a specific, hard-coded number of filegroups. I'm not sure of any alternatives to moving data within files of the same filegroup other than the one outlined in the article.

• Hardcoded filegroups? Once the app is running, how would the app know about filegroups? I could easily migrate from Primary to filegroup1, then redo primary to reset file sizes, then migrate back to primary if needed.

• I can't say all the ways that it's hardcoded filegroups might affect it, but the vendor stated that they do not support creating filegroups. I can say there is a mechanism within the application to create new tables and that the application has custom maintenance procedures.

The database is multiple TB so I'm not sure migrating back and forth is realistic for my scenario.

• It may not be. Chances are if you migrated things over and back, the application and vendor would never realize this.

Often when someone doesn't support something like filegroups, or limited security other than sa, they often have no idea what that concept really means.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply