Can YUKON AS and RS co-exist with other Versions

• Hi,

Think I know the answer, but here goes.  There is a movement afoot at my small and lean but cheap company to install JUST Reporting Services and JUST Analysis Services on a Server.  They would then connect to a SQL 2000 sp3a Data Warehouse server for data.  Licensing issues aside.

My first reaction is that they are INSANE.  But I just don't know why empirically because of my unfamiliarity with YUKON.  Isn't EVERYTHING re-engineered, and thus heavily integrated? 

I know for a fact that we already have mountains of versioning issues here with MSAS and MDAC and Office and PTS and OWC and on and on...  This just seems to me to be the ULTIMATE in asking for trouble.

Any thoughts?  Doable or Suicide?  Thanks!

Database Dave

• They wouldn't have a problem with Analysis Services.  If you install Reporting Services on ANY other server than the SQL Server the reports are derived from, you MUST pay reporting services licenses for any other server it's installed on.  If you don't, you are running illegal, which it sounds like your company has no trouble doing. 

Derrick Leggett
    Mean Old DBA
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

• But given that you must already have paid for the second box because it is running AS...

AS and RS have the same rules about licensing, if you run everything on one box you pay one box price, if you run on n boxes you pay the price for n boxes.

-Euan

• Normally I would just brush a comment like that off, but it seemed so pointless and unnecessary to the discussion and the whole misguided response is sending the thread into a needless tangent.

I guess when I wrote LICENSING ISSUES ASIDE, I assumed that it would be understood that way.  We ARE fully licensed, in fact we have licenses laying around not doing anything, thank you for you presumptuous concern Mr. Leggett.

Further, I hoped by my subject line that my area of questioning would be clear enough, I am mostly concerned with CO-EXISTANCE between different versions.  Namely Yukon and 2K.

Sorry to cause so much confusion.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply