Can you Export an OLAP Cube?

• If you want to migrate an OLAP Cube from one Server to another Server, is it possible for it to export to a file and import it to another Server?

• I believe you can archive the cube and then restore it on the other server...check BOL for information on archiving, restoring and copying cubes...

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• In addition, just by doing Copy and Paste (see popup menu) you can copy an entire Analysis Services database (cubes, dimensions, etc.) to a different server, then process it there with the new data set. You will need to repoint to another data source if required. When you copy and paste only the structure og your OLAP data is duplicated, not the data itself.

Edited by - mromm on 03/18/2003 11:55:34 AM

• well the difficult issue about copy and paste is that the two server is not connected. We were asked to find a way to export from one server and install it back to the other server. Anyway this can be done?

• Well, as Michael Weiss pointed out, you can archive your OLAP database, take the file, move it to another server and restore from there. If your database is too large, copy it on the first server with a different name, do not add too much (or any) data to it so you could archive a very small copy. See my point?

• I think I have an idea now. Thanks!

• Cubes in Analysis Services have a very tight relationship with their source database.

Suppose you archive the cube (you really archive the whole database that the cube lives in) into a .CAB file and then copy that .CAB to another computer and restore it to the Analysis Services installed there. This is a very common thing to do.

You can now open Analysis Manager on the second machine and find your cube in the tree on the left. On the right side, you can browse the data in the cube (first click on data at the top of the frame).

But you cannot edit or reprocess this cube if the data source is not a valid one for this cube/database, like mromm mentions.

If you move the .CAB and not the source data, you can still get to the data by using a commercial cube viewer like Proclarity or something like it.

Jennifer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply