Can you add a linked server from SQL Server 2005 to a SQL 2012 server?

• Hi,

I have an application running on SQL 2005 that we want to create a data warehouse on a new SQL Server 2012 box. I don't have SQL2012 installed yet, but I'm wondering if SQL2005 is capable of linking to a SQL2012 server? I'm OK with having to install a SQL2005 service pack if necessary, but I'm just wondering if it's actually possible. Colleagues in my organization are skeptical that it will work at all.

Thx

Ron

• You can. I just tried it. You'll just need to install the 2012 Native Client to get the provider.

Code to create a Linked Server that uses the logged in user to authenticate to the remote server:

USE [master]

GO

/****** Object: LinkedServer [.\SQL2012] Script Date: 7/30/2012 9:51:47 PM ******/

EXEC master.dbo.sp_addlinkedserver @server = N'.\SQL2012', @srvproduct=N'SQL Server'

/* For security reasons the linked server remote logins password is changed with ######## */

EXEC master.dbo.sp_addlinkedsrvlogin @rmtsrvname=N'.\SQL2012',@useself=N'True',@locallogin=NULL,@rmtuser=NULL,@rmtpassword=NULL

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'.\SQL2012', @optname=N'collation compatible', @optvalue=N'false'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'.\SQL2012', @optname=N'data access', @optvalue=N'true'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'.\SQL2012', @optname=N'dist', @optvalue=N'false'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'.\SQL2012', @optname=N'pub', @optvalue=N'false'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'.\SQL2012', @optname=N'rpc', @optvalue=N'false'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'.\SQL2012', @optname=N'rpc out', @optvalue=N'false'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'.\SQL2012', @optname=N'sub', @optvalue=N'false'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'.\SQL2012', @optname=N'connect timeout', @optvalue=N'0'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'.\SQL2012', @optname=N'collation name', @optvalue=null

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'.\SQL2012', @optname=N'lazy schema validation', @optvalue=N'false'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'.\SQL2012', @optname=N'query timeout', @optvalue=N'0'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'.\SQL2012', @optname=N'use remote collation', @optvalue=N'true'

GO

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Thanks! We are in the process of installing SQL2012 and we'll be able to do our own test in a few days, but thanks for confirming!

Ron

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply