Can we restore a database from SQL Server 2005 Enterprise edition to Standard Edition?

• Hi,

We have sql server 2005 EE and SQL server 2005 SE. I want restore a database from Enterprise edition to Standard edition.

Is this possible?

• madhu (8/6/2009)

Hi,

We have sql server 2005 EE and SQL server 2005 SE. I want restore a database from Enterprise edition to Standard edition.

Is this possible?

As far as I am aware, yes you can. You may have to check some of your procedures should they have used Enterprise Edition only features.

• Yep.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• madhu (8/6/2009)

Is this possible?

Yes. We have done a whole bunch of those.

Just pray developers have not used EE exclusive features and, please remember to script/apply logins, jobs, etc.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • PaulB (8/6/2009)

madhu (8/6/2009)

Is this possible?

Yes. We have done a whole bunch of those.

Just pray developers have not used EE exclusive features and, please remember to script/apply logins, jobs, etc.

I don't think there are T-SQL commands or anything like that which are EE-only. To my knowledge, it's things like compressed backups and so on. Or am I forgetting something?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• For example, table & index partition is an EE only feature. I haven't tested this, but that is what BOL says 🙂

So I expect you to face issues if you have partition functions/schemas.

Cheers,
    Prithiviraj Kulasingham

http://preethiviraj.blogspot.com/

• G.R.Preethiviraj Kulasingham (8/9/2009)

For example, table & index partition is an EE only feature. I haven't tested this, but that is what BOL says 🙂

So I expect you to face issues if you have partition functions/schemas.

Ah! I didn't think of that. Thanks.

I was thinking T-SQL differences. Structural differences are a whole different category, and would definitely cause problems if present.

Property of The Thread

• Not having Standard Edition available I'd say to do some testing. It is possible that table partitioning created in Enterprise Edition my be supported in Standard Edition, just that you wouldn't be able to make any modifications to the partitioned tables/indexes.

• You would have a problem with table partitioning which is a feature in EE edition. We have a database which is over 20gb and ran into that problem even though it does not have any partitioned tables. But the smaller databases restored without any issues.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply