Can this be done without a loop

• Hi folks. I needed to write a stored proc that takes generates a string of random characters @minlen to @maxlen characters long for testing some functions. What I came up with is posted below. I couldn't do it without a loop. You'll see that I used temp tables; when I attempted to use that logic in a CTE it screwed up the "length" (number of rows). Just curious if anyone has done something like this without without a loop.

Thanks.

CREATE PROC dbo.RandomStrings

(

-- include some default values

@rows int = 10000,

@minlen int = 2,

@maxlen int = 6 -- max 4225

)

/****************************************************************************************

To get 50,000 rows of random string 5 to 20 character long:

EXEC dbo.RandomStrings 50000, 5, 20

****************************************************************************************/

AS

-- prep temp tables

DECLARE

@strings TABLE (chrn int NOT NULL);

DECLARE

@stringsFinal TABLE (stringID int identity primary key, string varchar(8000) NOT NULL)

DECLARE

@chars TABLE (charid int primary key, charn int NOT NULL);

-- Insert ascii values characters that match this pattern: [!#$0-9,a-z,A-Z] into @chars

WITH

chars AS

(

SELECT rn = ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY (SELECT NULL)), N

FROM (VALUES

(33),(35),(36),(48),(49),(50),(51),(52),(53),(54),(55),(56),(57),(65),(66),(67),(68),(69),

(70),(71),(72),(73),(74),(75),(76),(77),(78),(79),(80),(81),(82),(83),(84),(85),(86),(87),

(88),(89),(90),(97),(98),(99),(100),(101),(102),(103),(104),(105),(106),(107),(108),(109),

(110),(111),(112),(113),(114),(115),(116),(117),(118),(119),(120),(121),(122)) N(N)

)

INSERT @chars

SELECT * FROM chars;

DECLARE @i int = 1

WHILE @i <= @rows

BEGIN

DELETE FROM @strings; --clear it out for new characters

INSERT @strings

SELECT TOP (ABS(CHECKSUM(newid())%(@maxlen-(@minlen-1)))+@minlen) -- gets me the numbers @min-2 through @maxlen

c = ABS(CHECKSUM(newid())%65)+1 -- get me 1 through 65

FROM @chars a, @chars b;

INSERT @stringsFinal (string)

SELECT SUBSTRING((SELECT REPLICATE

(

CHAR(c.charn),

CASE CHECKSUM(newid())%3 WHEN 2 THEN 2 ELSE 1 END -- 1 in 6

)

FROM @strings s

JOIN @chars c ON s.chrn = c.charid

FOR XML PATH(''), TYPE).value('.','varchar(8000)'),1,@maxlen);

SET @i = @i+1

END

-- Output results

SELECT * FROM @stringsFinal;

GO

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Alan.B (10/28/2015)

Hi folks. I needed to write a stored proc that takes generates a string of random characters @minlen to @maxlen characters long for testing some functions. What I came up with is posted below. I couldn't do it without a loop. You'll see that I used temp tables; when I attempted to use that logic in a CTE it screwed up the "length" (number of rows). Just curious if anyone has done something like this without without a loop.

Thanks.

(

@rows int = 10000,

@minlen int = 2,

)

/****************************************************************************************

****************************************************************************************/

AS

-- prep temp tables

DECLARE

DECLARE

@stringsFinal TABLE (stringID int identity primary key, string varchar(8000) NOT NULL)

DECLARE

-- Insert ascii values characters that match this pattern: [!#$0-9,a-z,A-Z] into @chars

WITH

chars AS

(

FROM (VALUES

(33),(35),(36),(48),(49),(50),(51),(52),(53),(54),(55),(56),(57),(65),(66),(67),(68),(69),

(70),(71),(72),(73),(74),(75),(76),(77),(78),(79),(80),(81),(82),(83),(84),(85),(86),(87),

(88),(89),(90),(97),(98),(99),(100),(101),(102),(103),(104),(105),(106),(107),(108),(109),

(110),(111),(112),(113),(114),(115),(116),(117),(118),(119),(120),(121),(122)) N(N)

)

INSERT @chars

SELECT * FROM chars;

DECLARE @i int = 1

WHILE @i <= @rows

BEGIN

INSERT @strings

SELECT TOP (ABS(CHECKSUM(newid())%(@maxlen-(@minlen-1)))+@minlen) -- gets me the numbers @min-2 through @maxlen

FROM @chars a, @chars b;

(

CHAR(c.charn),

)

FROM @strings s

SET @i = @i+1

END

-- Output results

GO

Here's something I've borrowed and adapted from one of Jeff's posts. Doesn't scale well to high values of maxlen and you'll have to play with the character selection to get the ones you want.

declare @minlen int = 2

,@maxlen int = 6;

if object_id('dbo.JBMTest', 'U') is not null

drop table dbo.JBMTest;

select top 50000

SomeID = identity( int,1,1

),SomeLetters2 = left(ch1.c + ch2.c + ch3.c + ch4.c + ch5.c + ch6.c + ch7.c + ch8.c + ch9.c + ch10.c, lth.Ln)

,Ln = (abs(checksum(newid()) % (@maxlen - (@minlen - 1))) + @minlen)

into dbo.JBMTest

from sys.all_columns ac1

cross join sys.all_columns ac2

cross apply (select c = char(abs(checksum(newid())) % (ascii('Z') - ascii('A') + 1) + ascii('A'))

) ch1

cross apply (select c = char(abs(checksum(newid())) % (ascii('Z') - ascii('A') + 1) + ascii('A'))

) ch2

) ch3

) ch4

) ch5

) ch6

) ch7

) ch8

) ch9

) ch10

cross apply (select Ln = (abs(checksum(newid()) % (@maxlen - (@minlen - 1))) + @minlen)

) lth;

alter table dbo.JBMTest

add constraint PK_JBMTest primary key clustered (SomeID) with fillfactor = 90;

select *

from dbo.JBMTest jt;

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• see this article and read the comments from Jeff at the bottom of the article

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/3576/generate-random-strings-with-high-performance-with-a-sql-clr-function

• J Livingston SQL (10/29/2015)

see this article and read the comments from Jeff at the bottom of the article

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/3576/generate-random-strings-with-high-performance-with-a-sql-clr-function

Excellent link and way too many Jeffs getting involved there!

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (10/29/2015)

J Livingston SQL (10/29/2015)

Excellent link and way too many Jeffs getting involved there!

you are absolutely correct Phil.....didnt see that:-)

• Phil Parkin (10/29/2015)

Alan.B (10/28/2015)

Hi folks. I needed to write a stored proc that takes generates a string of random characters @minlen to @maxlen characters long for testing some functions. What I came up with is posted below. I couldn't do it without a loop. You'll see that I used temp tables; when I attempted to use that logic in a CTE it screwed up the "length" (number of rows). Just curious if anyone has done something like this without without a loop.

Thanks.

(

@rows int = 10000,

@minlen int = 2,

)

AS

-- prep temp tables

DECLARE

DECLARE

DECLARE

WITH

chars AS

(

FROM (VALUES

)

INSERT @chars

SELECT * FROM chars;

DECLARE @i int = 1

WHILE @i <= @rows

BEGIN

INSERT @strings

FROM @chars a, @chars b;

(

CHAR(c.charn),

)

FROM @strings s

SET @i = @i+1

END

-- Output results

GO

Here's something I've borrowed and adapted from one of Jeff's posts. Doesn't scale well to high values of maxlen and you'll have to play with the character selection to get the ones you want.

declare @minlen int = 2

,@maxlen int = 6;

if object_id('dbo.JBMTest', 'U') is not null

drop table dbo.JBMTest;

select top 50000

SomeID = identity( int,1,1

),SomeLetters2 = left(ch1.c + ch2.c + ch3.c + ch4.c + ch5.c + ch6.c + ch7.c + ch8.c + ch9.c + ch10.c, lth.Ln)

,Ln = (abs(checksum(newid()) % (@maxlen - (@minlen - 1))) + @minlen)

into dbo.JBMTest

from sys.all_columns ac1

cross join sys.all_columns ac2

) ch1

) ch2

) ch3

) ch4

) ch5

) ch6

) ch7

) ch8

) ch9

) ch10

cross apply (select Ln = (abs(checksum(newid()) % (@maxlen - (@minlen - 1))) + @minlen)

) lth;

alter table dbo.JBMTest

add constraint PK_JBMTest primary key clustered (SomeID) with fillfactor = 90;

select *

from dbo.JBMTest jt;

Thanks Phil! Excellent, I just played around with this, that's what I was looking for. Much faster and cleaner.

Sorry for the late reply - I spent that day dealing with SQL emergencies.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• J Livingston SQL (10/29/2015)

Thanks Mr. Livingston. I just installed and played around with both of Jeff Yao's CLRs that are in that assembly, excellent stuff. Thanks for mentioning the comments too - I have been looking for Jeff's fnTally function for awhile (I saw him mention it on a forum some months back but it's impossible to find where).

Thanks again for your help sir!

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply