Can the logbackup file size be more than the full backup file size?

• Hi,

I have observed that couple of databases log backup file size is lot more than full backup size.

Is this possible and normal behaviour? or something going wrong on my databases?

Please clarify me on this?

Thanks

• Keep in mind a backup file can contain more than one backup !

Are you creating log backups using the NOINIT parameter ? That's the way you can add a backup to a backup file.

restore headeronly from disk='your backup file' will show it's content header info.

Don't just change the log backup to INIT, because that may break your DRP.

Check BOL for info and options of Backup !

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• The log will contain all the changes made since the last log backup and if there are large amounts of work being done in the database it is possible to have a log backup that is bigger than the full backup. How often are you doing the log backups? Maybe they should be done more often.

• Not unusual at all, especially if you are backing up a database that is part of a lot of overnight batch operations. Fairly normal for me that the first backup of the morning is quite large...

• Yes, very possible indeed.

To use a practical example:

an overnight job might update (flag relevant records) and move (insert to another DB/SERVER + delete existing) a considerable amount of records.

This could leave the log file backup much bigger than the data backup

Note: if there's alot of bulk operations increasing your log file, investigate changing the recovery model to bulk logged from full during this peroid - but first read up on BOL regarding bulk logged vs full before doing this 🙂

What's this "backup strategy" everyone is on about?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply