Can SSRS make a stacked timeline?

• I'm an OK SSRS designer/developer. A user would like for me to design a SSRS report that would render some data in what he calls "a stacked timeline". Kind of like this:

CASE A                  1----2-----------3---4---5

CASE B                     1---2---------------------3------4---5

CASE C                        1—2-------------------------------3--4--5

Personally, I feel like PowerBI might be better suited for this, especially if he wants it "graphical", as he said in his email. But I don't know SSRS well enough to know if SSRS can do what he wants or not.

Can SSRS do that?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• If the horizontal axis is the same time component and you're just looking at different series in your data, then yeah, I suppose any stacked bar chart would be that. You'd just have to make sure your data is organized to do that.

If you're talking about specifically lines with numbers separated by dashes, then no.

And sounds like this person needs to figure out what it is they are really looking to answer/actions to take with this graph and that will help you decide.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• What do you mean by "a stacked timeline".

What is being stacked?

You can pad columns like this

=Space((RowNumber("DataSet1") - 1) * 4) & Fields!FieldName

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• I didn't know you could have bar charts in SSRS reports. Beyond my experience.

Oh, and BTW, I meant to say that I think we'll be using SSRS 2016, but it could be as old as 2012.

This whole idea of "stacked timeline" is the BA's terminology. I agree that I've got to figure out what he's talking about. And unfortunately I believe it wants those numbers in there separating whatever (not at all clear what he's got in mind).

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• yeah, that's a custom image, I suppose you could do that with the padding suggestion and make it just spit out text for the report, just populate a tablix with the column values. But that feels like going back in time.

I don't think PowerBI would work here because it's pretty "rubber stamp" reporting, visuals aren't super customizable unless you're pulling in R scripts or something.

I'd try to figure out what they really want to do with this, and then gently suggest a better way to do it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• oh, and if you went the text output route, you'd want to make sure you picked a font that treats all the characters as the same width, otherwise your "graphs" skew unintentionally

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply