Can Policy-based Management be used to distribute Maintenance Plans?

• All,

Still very much a newbie to this DBA lark so would like to consult the experts please. Have been asked to evaluate using policy-based management in sql server 2008 R2 to create and distribute back-up maintenance plans. I'm not sure this is what it is designed for, but can someone please confirm whether or not it can be used in that way? Any assistance gratefully accepted.

Many thanks,

Jules

• What do you mean by "create and distribute back-up maintenance plans"? I am interested for you to explain more about the workflow you're after, i.e. the problem you're trying to solve.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• My boss wanted to know if we could use Policy Management to literally create maintenance plans and then distribute them around the organisation. I think he has now accepted that this is not what PM is designed for, rather it could define the rules about when a plan can be run, for instance. But if you know that PM is able to create & distribute, please tell me more! Regards, Jules

• julia.streatfield (8/24/2011)

My boss wanted to know if we could use Policy Management to literally create maintenance plans and then distribute them around the organisation. I think he has now accepted that this is not what PM is designed for, rather it could define the rules about when a plan can be run, for instance. But if you know that PM is able to create & distribute, please tell me more! Regards, Jules

Your boss has correctly accepted the fact that Policy-Based Management is not the correct tool to "literally create maintenance plans and then distribute them around the organisation".

Maintenance Plans are not my favorite but they are fine for running backups, and you can point them to remote servers. Why not setup one Plan on a centralized server, and have a backup task for each instance where you want to back up the databases?

You could also employ a Policy that runs On Demand to validate whether your databases have been backed in the last 24 hours using the LastBackupDate of the DatabaseMaintenance facet. Every morning you could deliver a report from the Policy running on all servers to see which databases have not been backed up.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Thanks very much. I think it was probably more of a 'task' for me to investigate, as we use DPM for all our live server backups now - I simply have a remnant of sql backups for test and dev environments. Like many things in sql 2008, they would be nice to implement but not completely necessary! Thanks again for your help. Jules

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply