can network errors on a log shippinging db halt the primary database ?

• Hi Everyone,

This morning the primary database, configured for log shipping, wasn't able to connect to the log shipping destination. Errors, as expected, were raised at both the primary and secondary site after the grace period was expired.

When arriving in the morning users weren't able to connect to the primary site. The database server was re-booted and the log shipping caught up (the log shipping destination was now visible to the primary node).

Should the primary database server be unavailable if logs cannot be shipped ????? There are sql log entries generated for the duration of the issue, so the Agent was obviously operating.

thanks for your help.

• sound like you are talking about database mirroring not log shipping

is the witness on its own box

• tew (4/17/2007)

Should the primary database server be unavailable if logs cannot be shipped ????? There are sql log entries generated for the duration of the issue, so the Agent was obviously operating..

No, not at all. What was the error the users were getting? What was in the SQL error log?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • There must be a glitch with SQL Server Central's notification system... I submitted this post 4 years ago.

Sorry, but I forget the details!

• tew (2/14/2011)

There must be a glitch with SQL Server Central's notification system... I submitted this post 4 years ago.

Apologies, I didn't check the date. It bubbled to the top because danschl posted a reply.

I'm normally more attentive than this.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply