Can I take partial backup in MSAccess?

• Hi,

I have mdb file.  I will be using the same mdb file onsite and offshore.  Everyday i will do transactions and send mdb file to onsite, they will do transactions using same mdb file and they send me back.  like this mdb is becoming huge.  So transfering huge mdb file has become a big issue for me.  I can not have one common server to share mdb file.  In this situation, partial backup has come in my mind (which exists in MS SQL SERVER).

Can anyone tell me that is there any partial backup facility in MSAccess or any tool for this?

Thanks,

Mahesh Babu Mamidi

• As far as I know there is no similar capability in ms access. Unfortunately, the whole db must be backed up (.mdb file).

The alternative you have are:

1. Use ms access replication. That way, you only have to synchronise the two databases together, rather than copying across all of the files.

2. If users have access to the web, then roll it out as a web application. That way you only ever have one database.

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

• You could split your Access database into two - one contains static data and the other data which can change. Use linked tables to join them together. Then you only need to transfer a part of your data, not all of it.

And don't forget to compact your mdb files.

--
    Scott

• Replication is really the only direct way to do exactly what you want if you're looking specifically for a "partial backup". That can be done locally (on a single computer), over a network, and also over the internet, I believe.

The other options mentioned here in other posts are also good ideas, especially Compact & Repair Database in Tools|Database Utilities.

Kevin

• Hello,

I know one MS Access application where just several tables backed up by using VBA. You can use Recordset object and then export its content to a file.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Just so you know Access mdb files compress very well. Use any zip utility and transfer the zip file. Every once in a while performa a compact and repair as was mentioned above

HTH

* Noel

• Another good tool to export/import from/to MS ACCESS is SQL Server DTS (Data Transformation Services) that you can run as a job. This is easy to implement if you have SQL Server running on the network.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply