Can I run SQL2005EXPRESS AND SQL2005?

• I have a Windows App programme I need to work on, however it does entail attaching a mdf for deployment.

I have SQL2005 installed already, but when I try and install SQL2005EXPRESS I get errors.

Any insight on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks

• What is the error, can you post the printscreen or the error msg ...!?

Anyway if your PC is with good performance you can install virtual machine and install the SQL Serve Express ED!

😎

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• if you post the errors that will be helpful, but in short yes, you can have numerous editions of SQL Server installed at the same time. You just need to install it as a separate instance.

In other words if your SQL 2005 (std ed) is the default instance (e.g. connect to it as mycomputername), you'd need to install the SQL express as mycomputername\sqlexpress. Instance names need to be distinct for a particular server.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Thanks Guys,

I am just trying the install again and will post the errors.

Does your advice ring true for SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS which ships with VS2005 standard edition?

• yes. during the install it should prompt you for the name of the instance you want to use.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Thanks Guys,

With your great advice I managed to get it installed.

When trying to install during VS2005 installation, the installer doesn't give an option to change the instance name. However running the SQLEXPRESS autorun it prompted me for everything.

Thanks again for the great and quick reponses. Been quite a while since I had to deal with any EXPRESS editions, so was really feeling daft.

Cheers

Dean

• At first time when you said that you are getting error during the install ... I thought that you have basic knowledge about installation many instances in your machine and for that reason I wanted to see the error msg!

Shortly, at each first installation of the SQL Server as a basic user you will install it as default instance ... so the second one can be an another SQL Server Edition as named instance!

To avoid unexpected issues you can do it in Virtual Machines ...

Have a nice SQLing!

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply