Can i replicate from sql2005 to a sql2012 AG replica db?

• Just after confirmation, and any other useful info, for this. after a little bit of googling it seems i can replicate from a 2005 publisher to a sql2012 ag primary replica db.

anyone done this? or can confirm that you can indeed do this (it sounds like i can).

i need to do it as a solution to minimising downtime for a migration.

thanks

• are you wanting to synch the whole database from 2005 to 2012, if so, replication is definitely not the best way to do this.

Either mirror the db to the 2012 instance and break the mirror once synch'd, or log ship it and break the plan once synch'd, then you'll create your AO group upon the newly synch'd database

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Great. Thanks. Yes thought about mirroring instead. Have to now because DB doesnt have primary key on every table anyway. Thanks again.

• personally I'd log ship it over and break the LS plan once I was ready to move to 2012, how large is the database in question

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• There's 5, some small 2or 3 tens of GB.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply