can i open an analysis services database in BIDs

• Hi

I have access to an analysis services database in management studio. Is it possible for me to open this as a project in BIDS?

Im brand new to SSAS so sorry for the simple question.

Thanks

• erics44 (3/3/2015)

Hi

I have access to an analysis services database in management studio. Is it possible for me to open this as a project in BIDS?

Im brand new to SSAS so sorry for the simple question.

Thanks

Only if you have permissions to view the definition of the cube.

• thanks for the reply

if i do have the permissions do you know how i would open it in bids? i have a blank solution

• erics44 (3/3/2015)

thanks for the reply

if i do have the permissions do you know how i would open it in bids? i have a blank solution

One of the options when creating a new SSAS project in BIDS I believe, is to connect to the SSAS instance. That will essentially extract the definition into your project.

• The option is in Menu File -> Open -> Analysis Services Database...

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (3/3/2015)

The option is in Menu File -> Open -> Analysis Services Database...

Keep in mind that you are connected live to that SSAS database.

If you make changes in BIDS, they happen on the server as well.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (3/3/2015)

Luis Cazares (3/3/2015)

And I hope that's not a production database. I hope there wouldn't be permissions to open a production database.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (3/3/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (3/3/2015)

Luis Cazares (3/3/2015)

And I hope that's not a production database. I hope there wouldn't be permissions to open a production database.

Is there a way of un connecting it? Could I deploy it locally say and be connected to a local one

• erics44 (3/3/2015)

Luis Cazares (3/3/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (3/3/2015)

Luis Cazares (3/3/2015)

Is there a way of un connecting it? Could I deploy it locally say and be connected to a local one

You could take a backup and restore it locally.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Yes I can, thanks a lot all

• If you have the appropriate permissions, you can create a project from an existing SSAS database using BIDS File->New->Project... and selecting Import Analysis Services Database. This is preferred to just opening the database as the functionality is somewhat limited (e.g. deployment) if you use File->Open->Analysis Services Database.

• In my version of VS2010 , File > New >Project > Installed Templates > Business Intelligence > Analysis Services, then choose "Import from Server (Multidimensional and Data Mining)" or "Import from Server (Tabular)" depending on whether the SSAS database is multidimensional or tabular. That will give you a local project so you can see how it works, but it will still be pointing at the original database for deployment purposes. If you actually need to make changes and test them, you need to go to Project > Properties > Deployment, and change the database name and/or server name, before you build and deploy, otherwise it will overwrite the production database with your changes, so be careful if you have powerful permissions.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply