Can anyone suggest a SQL Server Advanced course?

• Hi!
    While ago, I had a lot of fun solving the sql-ex.ru queries. Moreover, seeing how other solved the problem was very helpful (you get that option once you solve the question).

I was wondering if someone could recommend an online, structured course (or a book) to effectively teach you the  art of writing beautiful queries.

For me the "advanced" means being able to write reliable, readable and efficient queries.

• Data Cruncher - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 4:44 AM

Hi!
    While ago, I had a lot of fun solving the sql-ex.ru queries. Moreover, seeing how other solved the problem was very helpful (you get that option once you solve the question).

I was wondering if someone could recommend an online, structured course (or a book) to effectively teach you the  art of writing beautiful queries.

For me the "advanced" means being able to write reliable, readable and efficient queries.

Do you mean for "free", "paid", or don't care?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I'd prefer free but I'm willing to invest few hundred bucks if needed.
    In case of paid courses I'd like to know if they go staight to the point (i.e. no need for basic stuff) and, due to a full-time job, a self-paced program is a must.

Googling around I found Brent Ozar's 'Performance Tuning Classes', that could suit my needs. Did anyone take one of these?

• The art of writing beautiful queries? 

The main thing is that they work efficiently, have enough suitable joins, and give the correct results ! 🙂 

There is online SQL code format tools that I have used regard code indentation .. 
    e.g.
    http://www.dpriver.com/pp/sqlformat.htm

Use of table alias short names help too ..
    It may be worth having a standards document that list a three letter table name (for example) for each full table name so that sql aliases used for table names are consistent .

I spotted this article also:
    https://dzone.com/articles/the-better-way-to-write-sql-query

In terms of training courses on SQL and SQL*Server:

You could check on  http://www.lynda.com ...
    you might be able to get free access to these via joining a library and using library site links and library card no.

Also Microsoft Virtual Academy ..https://mva.microsoft.com/

• allan.ford17 - Thursday, October 18, 2018 5:10 PM

The art of writing beautiful queries?

It was just a figure of speech - at the moment I'm unable to find a set of hard rules for writing efficient queries (for me it's a trial & error cycle). I was hoping to find a structured course that could explain how more experienced db developers 'do their magic'.

• Data Cruncher - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 4:44 AM

Hi!

Use this forum!

Develop your best query and post it to questions on these forums. If others rely with an answer, study their responses and learn what made their queries better than yours. Use what you learn to develop your own queries for your project. Soon you start seeing queries in terms of these advanced techniques!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    How to Post to get the most: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

• Data Cruncher - Friday, October 19, 2018 1:53 AM

allan.ford17 - Thursday, October 18, 2018 5:10 PM

The art of writing beautiful queries?

It was just a figure of speech - at the moment I'm unable to find a set of hard rules for writing efficient queries (for me it's a trial & error cycle). I was hoping to find a structured course that could explain how more experienced db developers 'do their magic'.

It's not a figure of speech for me.  It the code is difficult to read and/or not properly commented, it takes a lot longer to troubleshoot problems or make modifications.  My mantra is "Make it work, make it fast, make it pretty... and it ain't done 'til it's pretty". 😀  When it comes to comments in the code, my standard is that if you removed all of the code, the comments that remain would be good enough to make a functional flow chart from to explain the business process that the code is designed to solve.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• What particular aspect of sql server are you most interested in?
    including hands-on T-SQL or not?

Likes to play Chess

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply