calling a table without owner prefix

• i am migrating an asp website to a new server. everything is fine and moved, except all the asp calls to the SQL server use non owner based calls (e.g. dept_html instead of dbo.dept_html).

it works just fine on the old server (windows 2000), but on the new server (windows 2003) the calls are no longer accepted, and instead of the server trying to find the closest match (e.g. using the logged in user name as owner, then moving to dbo as owner), it just returns a fail:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e37'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'dept_html'.

if i use query analyzer it gives me the same error when i use just dept_html but works fine when i use dbo.dept_html instead. going through all the asp pages and changing each call would be a seriously teadious task that i would love to avoid if at all possible.

is there a setting on the server that i can change to make table calls work without the owner prefix?

p.s. throughout this post i have used dbo as an example owner name, but the actual owner name is not dbo.

• add user as alias to the object owner.

• found the bug, in the SQL Server users there was a user with the same login/pass as a user in the Database users section. The SQL Server user was not getting privaledges because "there is already a user defined" or something like that.

deleted both users then made only a SQL Server user and it works fine now.

pretty confusing to find.

=/

thanks for the lead in the right direction wz700

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply