Calculating two columns based on two views

• Hi All,

I'm struggling with some code. I have two SQL statements both give me different answers.

SELECT COUNT(crn) AS NoDayCase,[DIS SPEC DESC], [DIS CONS DESC], [DIS_YEAR], [DIS_MONTH], [admtype], [SPELL LOS], [INTMAN]

FROM ColossusUser.inf.tbl_PS_IXP_ADMS_AND_DIS as DC

GROUP BY [DIS SPEC DESC], [DIS CONS DESC], [DIS_YEAR], [DIS_MONTH],[admtype],[SPELL LOS], [INTMAN]

HAVING (DIS_YEAR = N'2010') AND (DIS_MONTH = N'March') AND admtype IN('11','12','13') AND [SPELL LOS] <= 0 AND (INTMAN = 'DC')

SELECT COUNT(crn) AS NoElectiveAdmissions,[DIS SPEC DESC], [DIS CONS DESC], [DIS_YEAR], [DIS_MONTH], [admtype]

FROM ColossusUser.inf.tbl_PS_IXP_ADMS_AND_DIS as EA

GROUP BY [DIS SPEC DESC], [DIS CONS DESC], [DIS_YEAR], [DIS_MONTH],[admtype]

HAVING (DIS_YEAR = N'2010') AND (DIS_MONTH = N'March') AND admtype IN('11','12','13')

what am trying to do is to create a new view to show a column with NoElectiveAdmissions, NoDayCase, [DIS SPEC DESC],[DIS_YEAR], [DIS_MONTH] and [DIS CONS DESC]

• Of course they give you different answers - you have a different column list. Please will you supply sample data (INSERT statements), table DDL (CREATE TABLE statements) and desired results so that we can help you.

Thanks

John

• sorry i wasn't clear enough.

from the two views i want the two results to be combined into one view.

i.e

NoDaycase noElective Dis_Spec Dis_Cons

16 23 ENT ConsA

19 38 Derm ConsC

basically combine the two views and link by Consultant and spec

• jbon007 (12/29/2010)

sorry i wasn't clear enough.

from the two views i want the two results to be combined into one view.

i.e

NoDaycase noElective Dis_Spec Dis_Cons

16 23 ENT ConsA

19 38 Derm ConsC

basically combine the two views and link by Consultant and spec

This code is joining on those fields, assuming that there is at least one record in each of the queries. If one can have zero records, with the other having >0, then you'll need to use a left or full join.

WITH CTE1 AS

(

SELECT COUNT(crn) AS NoDayCase,[DIS SPEC DESC], [DIS CONS DESC], [DIS_YEAR], [DIS_MONTH], [admtype], [SPELL LOS], [INTMAN]

FROM ColossusUser.inf.tbl_PS_IXP_ADMS_AND_DIS as DC

GROUP BY [DIS SPEC DESC], [DIS CONS DESC], [DIS_YEAR], [DIS_MONTH],[admtype],[SPELL LOS], [INTMAN]

HAVING (DIS_YEAR = N'2010') AND (DIS_MONTH = N'March') AND admtype IN('11','12','13') AND [SPELL LOS] <= 0 AND (INTMAN = 'DC')

), CTE2 AS

(

SELECT COUNT(crn) AS NoElectiveAdmissions,[DIS SPEC DESC], [DIS CONS DESC], [DIS_YEAR], [DIS_MONTH], [admtype]

FROM ColossusUser.inf.tbl_PS_IXP_ADMS_AND_DIS as EA

GROUP BY [DIS SPEC DESC], [DIS CONS DESC], [DIS_YEAR], [DIS_MONTH],[admtype]

HAVING (DIS_YEAR = N'2010') AND (DIS_MONTH = N'March') AND admtype IN('11','12','13')

)

SELECT CTE1.NoDayCase, CTE2.NoElectiveAdmissions, CTE1.[DIS SPEC DESC], CTE2.[DIS CONS DESC]

FROM CTE1

JOIN CTE2

ON CTE1.[DIS CONS DESC] = CTE2.[DIS CONS DESC]

AND CTE1.[DIS SPEC DESC] = CTE2.[DIS SPEC DESC]

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply