Cache Warming Application

• I have heard in classes, in seminars and read in white papers about the great response time by warming the cache based upon expected MDX queries. Has anybody successfully written an application that does this right after the server is restarted or is it something everyone (who does it) does manually? I would LOVE to have an application where I could enter MDX queries into a database table as a text string, and the application would just step through those queries and fire them off (hopefully not serially, fire them off say 5 queries at a time...).

Has anybody seen anything like this developed? I have searched and searched the internet. ProClarity has something similar, but you have to have their Server version in order to run it (it is an add-in). This would be a very useful tool for a lot of people. I wish there was a DTS object that did this, but alas! Wouldn't that be great, do this in DTS, it runs queries from a table, and you could schedule it to run right after the rebuild of the cube! Wishful thinking.

Mindy

• similar link with brief explanation of how we do it

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=17&messageid=141851#bm141944

• Thanks.

After posting that msg yesterday I did a search in this forum for cache and found I had already asked this question and someone had answered it (I didn't know it had been answered). Goes to show I have been struggling with this one for awhile.

I will try the DTS with an OLAP connection and running MDX.

Do you know if in Integration Services 2005, which is "replacing" DTS they are going to have something that does this?

Mindy

• I'm unsure of the precise nature of this but I do believe that 2005 will have a profiler for OLAP which should make it easier.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply