Byte Me: Wrong turn

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Byte Me: Wrong turn

• Dunno if I would call it a wrong turn but yes, sometimes you do some data cleansing and the next moment you get that cold sweat on your forehead, panic in the pit of your stomach and your knees start to wobble. You realise you have two choices. Be honourable and get in there with gum boots and rubber gloves and scrub it all clean or cover it with a nice white cloth hoping the dirt will not seep into the cloth. What will you do? :ermm::ermm::ermm::ermm::ermm:

Manie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I am happy because I choose to be happy.
    I just love my job!!!

• We are always going to have 'bad data', and we should be helping to set user expectations about its reliability. This could be difficult for some users to cope with, but fixing data costs money and a given organisation will always have a cap on what it is prepared to spend.

We can help in setting expectations by analysing existing data and identifying obvious inaccuracies. This could help target future spend to reduce these problems. The non-obvious inaccuracies fall into the same class as Dick Chaney's 'Unknown unknowns', but their frequency can to some extent be inferred by the frequency of obvious inaccuracies.

We are all prepared to accept a certain level of inaccuracy in just about everything we do. If we call program code errors a form of data inaccuracy, then a completely correct program would need no patching. I think Windows is patching a 50GB OS at the rate of about 1GB every three months. We live with that. If we drive from A to B we never do that with the wheels in totally the correct place in the road and never at the totally correct speed to complete the journey in the shortest possible time and cost. We live with that. Inaccuracies only become a problem when they affect business decisions.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Always checking for bad data.

• If only the dark web was only that low...

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• ...and the hunt for bad data lead anywhere that made sense.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• This image isn't dark or seedy enough to be anywhere close to the dark web.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply