BYOD

• GSquared (1/19/2012)

The question then isn't, "Would you do it?" The question becomes, "How much extra per year would it take for you to do it?"

Maybe. That's if it's a user by user item, and that's more of a "Get there from here" issue/question than if a company decides they are not providing hardware.

It could go the other way. Would you take $5k less a year if you didn't have to drive to work, you could use your own hardware at home, and they'd provide a VPN connection and VM?

It certainly is complex, and it's not a simple xx fits for every person. Some people don't care about hardware, and I'm not sure this works well outside of IT.

Or maybe it does when every person has a laptop just to live their lives and access the information available in the world.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/19/2012)

GSquared (1/19/2012)

The question then isn't, "Would you do it?" The question becomes, "How much extra per year would it take for you to do it?"

Maybe. That's if it's a user by user item, and that's more of a "Get there from here" issue/question than if a company decides they are not providing hardware.

It could go the other way. Would you take $5k less a year if you didn't have to drive to work, you could use your own hardware at home, and they'd provide a VPN connection and VM?

It certainly is complex, and it's not a simple xx fits for every person. Some people don't care about hardware, and I'm not sure this works well outside of IT.

Or maybe it does when every person has a laptop just to live their lives and access the information available in the world.

I'm not a good test-case for the $5k less/year if I could work from home. I commute over 2,000 miles per month. The math would make that a no-brainer.

But from a company viewpoint, and from a personal viewpoint, the acceptability of a "bring your own tools to work" system should be based largely on financials, and partially on being able to personalize the tools.

It'll never happen if it costs the employer substantially more to provision for it and administer it than it saves. Businesses work on RoI, or should if they don't. Even charitable not-for-profits and churches would need to look at cost vs benefit, since it would take money that could otherwise potentially be used to forward whatever cause it is they have.

It'll also never happen if it costs employees so much that it's unsustainable. Competitors will offer "fully furnished cubicle including workstation and all tools necessary to do your job", and the best people will go there rather than spend their own money on work-essentials.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/19/2012)

...and they'd provide a VPN connection and VM?...

Working 100% remotely now, I'd love it if the company provided a VM for me to load on my laptop to work from. I wish I'd have thought of setting up a VM before I let the company install McAfee (required). When I do my next upgrade (hopefully this spring) I will setup a VM for office work so I can keep the work required software off my personal machine.

• Jack Corbett (1/23/2012)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/19/2012)

Working 100% remotely now, I'd love it if the company provided a VM for me to load on my laptop to work from. I wish I'd have thought of setting up a VM before I let the company install McAfee (required). When I do my next upgrade (hopefully this spring) I will setup a VM for office work so I can keep the work required software off my personal machine.

On my laptop, which I use to occasionally to VPN into the office, I have a partition setup just for work. Booting into a separtate partition, rather than running a VM, makes more efficient use of my 2GB RAM. If I had a laptop with 4GB RAM, then I would probably go the VM route.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (1/23/2012)

Jack Corbett (1/23/2012)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/19/2012)

On my laptop, which I use to occasionally to VPN into the office, I have a partition setup just for work. Booting into a separtate partition, rather than running a VM, makes more efficient use of my 2GB RAM. If I had a laptop with 4GB RAM, then I would probably go the VM route.

8 GB would be just right.

• I buy all me own equipment and licenses as I work as a freelancer. It varies when and how I can/have to use them.

Security has never been an issue as a RDP session over a VPN connection with copy/paste copy to host and file copy to host disallowed appears to appease most places. Some do not even have those restrictions as they rely on integrity and know that anything can be circumvented e.g. changing file extensions to beat email rules (I have never sent items externally but I believe that it would work were it works internally).

FYI I am UK based. Further details available upon application 😉

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Even four years later it still sounds like a gee-wiz startup environment concept targeting a Millenial stereotype. It's unclear how BYOD benefits the employer, especially when the employer still pays for the device. Economics aside, if the company owns the device, then they have much more leeway over monitoring, contolling, and confiscating it. If the company suspects the employee is engaged in some questionable activity, then having ownership over the device just makes taking possession more legally and logistically simple.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• GSquared (1/18/2012)

If I were required to bring my own tools (laptop, RedGate toolbelt, SQL Dev Edition, et al), then it would also be necessary for the employer to recognize that it's my darn laptop and they aren't allowed access to it. No keyloggers, no Symantec Performance Killer Enterprise Edition (that may not be the actual marketing name of the product, but it sure should be), etc. Monitor network activity on their network? Of course! Monitor server activity on their servers? Definitely! Ask my computer for a certificate or some such that says it's got appropriate security running? By all means. Install anything on it, scan the hard drive, check for software they don't like, even the browser history? No way.

Personally, I don't have anything to hide. But on the principle of the thing, I'd say, "You want to require me to bring my own computer and pay for my own tools, then you need to recognize that they're mine, not yours".

Totally agree.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply