Bulk Loading in Availability Groups

• I have several 2012 availability groups running on a cluster. I have one database that is bulk loaded every 30 minutes. The DB is about 1 GB in size. To be on the availability group it has to be set to full recovery mode, but simple or even bulk would obviously be better. Is there a better way to handle the transaction log size other than to run a backup after each bulk load causing extra overhead? With mirrors you could use simple, but since those are going away . . .

Thanks.

• Thor Bev (8/14/2014)

I have several 2012 availability groups running on a cluster. I have one database that is bulk loaded every 30 minutes. The DB is about 1 GB in size. To be on the availability group it has to be set to full recovery mode, but simple or even bulk would obviously be better. Is there a better way to handle the transaction log size other than to run a backup after each bulk load causing extra overhead? With mirrors you could use simple, but since those are going away . . .

Thanks.

1) Who cares if mirrors are deprecated. IIRC they only go away the THIRD version after deprecation announcement (and some deprecated stuff can be kept around much longer I think). But even then it doesn't matter. I have clients still running SQL 2000 because it does what they need just fine. You can run mirroring for the next 15 years too if you want/need.

2) Just make tlog management part of your load process.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• As I understand it t-load management as part of the load process would include being in simple or bulk mode, which cannot be done in AG.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply