Bulk generation of statements

• Hi, I have a request to author content that meets this scenario: -

Imagine a bank statement. Opening balance, closing balance and a record of the transactions between. Plus a load of text with bank address etc.

I have authored content to provide this statement on-demand. However the request is to have these produced in bulk, on-demand. Creating a single pdf file containing many hundreds of statements for different people

How can I output a single pdf with an unknown number of copies of the same report related to different people (eventually this file will be passed onto a mailing company who will print the statements and mail them to the recipients)

I am aware that products exist that will integrate many pdf files into a single entity but I would like to avoid this if at all possible and have the process addressed in SSRS

Any help or ideas will be gratefully received

Thank you

Duncan

All the best,

Duncan

• Duncan Lawrence - Monday, June 12, 2017 4:18 AM

Hi, I have a request to author content that meets this scenario: -

Imagine a bank statement. Opening balance, closing balance and a record of the transactions between. Plus a load of text with bank address etc.

I have authored content to provide this statement on-demand. However the request is to have these produced in bulk, on-demand. Creating a single pdf file containing many hundreds of statements for different people

How can I output a single pdf with an unknown number of copies of the same report related to different people (eventually this file will be passed onto a mailing company who will print the statements and mail them to the recipients)

I am aware that products exist that will integrate many pdf files into a single entity but I would like to avoid this if at all possible and have the process addressed in SSRS

Any help or ideas will be gratefully received

Thank you

Duncan

There's going to be several ways of doing this but it will be difficult to be precise with the information we've got at the moment.  SSRS does offer the option to output to PDF so what you want is certainly theoretically possible.

One option is using a series of sub-reports to create each individual element and the collate them all on the master report.  You could also use multiple datasets and look at different Row Groups options to combine them.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Thanks for getting back to me on this Neil. I'm about to experiment with the list control. I'll post on what happens
    Thanks

All the best,

Duncan

• Instead of making sub-reports, you could use groups and page breaks to separate each "statement". But I'm not sure if you'll get the expected output from it.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Hi, I have successfully used list control grouped by account Id. This works, each account statement is rendered one after the other and will export to PDF - great

Forcing a page break after each group has each account starting on a new page - almost great

My next challenge is to have a blank page added when the number of pages for each statement is odd. This will then have each account statement start on an odd page using duplex printing

Thank you for your interest

All the best,

Duncan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply