Building Your Brand

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Building Your Brand

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• The real question is for what purpose are you building an online persona.

I am just assuming, but if you are building an online persona for future job applications (which is my 2nd assumption, is the path most people follow) does it really matter to have a instagramm, facebook and twitter as a DBA/Developer?

Being a reputeable person in the central online hub of the topic of your work or having your own blog is something that i can see you getting somewhere or atleast make an impact on the person in HR. I never had much interest in my social media except as source of information from others, so maybe i am underestimating social media in the tech sector.

• You kind of laid out my argument to a degree. "...except as source of information from others..."

If you want to be those "others" who are a source of information, that can be a path to employment. It's not required, of course, and it's not for everyone. However, it is a valid path.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• I worked for a company who "pimped out" test engineers and DBA people... to sell our "man hours" to clients we were encouraged to build a personal brand. this really helped me.

But interestingly, as I get older, my personal goals have changed. Salary is not a measure of success. I'm more happy when I get 2000 reads on an article.  The only way to do that is to do all of the brand work that Grant, Kendra, Steve, Itzik, kalen delaney and many many more have done...

I really enjoy trying to contribute and the branding has become a fun way of keeping my working day a happy one 🙂

MVDBA

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

But interestingly, as I get older, my personal goals have changed. Salary is not a measure of success. I'm more happy when I get 2000 reads on an article.

The problem i face is with things like blog is my lack of knowledge and experience.

I feel like everything i know has already been written somewhere by someone already.

The budget version i am trying is to answer questions here on forum, the rare times i am able to help.

One thing i learned is how unclear and bad my first posts here on the forum were when i read what other people post sometimes.

These "how to post..." guides are gods work and would make life so much easier if used

• ktflash wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

But interestingly, as I get older, my personal goals have changed. Salary is not a measure of success. I'm more happy when I get 2000 reads on an article.

The problem i face is with things like blog is my lack of knowledge and experience.

I feel like everything i know has already been written somewhere by someone already.

The budget version i am trying is to answer questions here on forum, the rare times i am able to help.

One thing i learned is how unclear and bad my first posts here on the forum were when i read what other people post sometimes.

These "how to post..." guides are gods work and would make life so much easier if used

Don't give up on blogging or contributing.

Even as a younger DBA you might have a fresh perspective on our "old dog" ideas.

and even so, the next generation of DBA will not be taking the time to search through old articles, they will be subscribed to the newsletter and see your article. You don't have to pitch it to the senior "been through the mill" DBA guys.

To quote your "buget version" - I spoke at an event a few months ago about sql performance tuning... it wasn't aimed at "Brent Ozar", I talked about using profiler, extended events, query plans, query store and debug mode - you would be surprised how many developers did not know about any of those tools.

I guarantee that if you contribute on here (see top right of your screen - "write for us") then you will make a difference and improve your brand... and your confidence

MVDBA

• ktflash wrote:

Yep. Everything has pretty much been done. So you should give up, right? Nope. Cause it hasn't been done by you in your unique voice with your perspective. I always tell people just starting to blog, write a post on backups. There are probably a million posts on backups. Doesn't matter. People still can't do backups and still need to learn how. You can teach them. Heck, maybe your post is the one that finally breaks through and everyone starts taking backups.

Just keep going. Same as with everything, practice makes you better.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

...I talked about using profiler...

<sigh>

You're killing me here.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

...I talked about using profiler...

<sigh>

You're killing me here.

I did also say extended events 🙂

but look how useful profiler is !!!!!! 15 seconds of capture while my user re-creates an error. i've had it since sql 7 and  it is my nicotine.... i'm not giving it up without severe withdrawal symptoms ....

KTFlash - there's an article in there somewhere!! - profiler vs XE

Capture

MVDBA

• I've been blogging about it a bunch over at scarydba.com.

I have a bit of a screed coming out on it next week.

My argument is simple. Anyone operating on 2012 or above who is not using Extended Events is actually, actively harming their production systems because a superior, safer, product is available. I've no doubt it's going to spin a few people up.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• I think what put me off XE was the initial documentation and the user interface for the results (creating an XE trace is almost the same as profiler) but viewing the results in Realtime when you just need to  run for 10 seconds is easier in profiler.

XE clearly is better in terms of hooking into O/S info, but i'm not giving up on the "old profiler dog" yet - I might even adopt 2 kittens and call them profiler and trace lolololol

if you are leaving this on as a "Trace" to capture data all day every day and log it to a table, then XE has it.

the same was True of WMI (I think when we hit 2005 and we had to write WMI queries to replace  some of the old SQL Agent alerts) - Microsoft need to up the strength of documentation way earlier, just to encourage us to "adopt" and "embrace" BEFORE release day.

as for harming my product - talk to the people that keep writing MSAccess clients connecting to it, don't check in code and think that memory optimised tables are the answer to fixing slow running cursors 🙂

MVDBA

• back to KTFlash's comment about "everything already documented"

I was listening to a stereophonics song the other night and the song was called "a thousand trees"

The more I listened, the more I  started hearing SQL Words

"It only takes one B-Tree to make a thousand matches"

"It only takes one match to burn a thousand b-Trees"

It got me thinking about indexing and how I have to explain a B-Tree and how it gets you your matches..  or a doubly linked list, page splits and mixed extents to developers.. It would be quite nice to have someone explain why we even have b-trees to the new but interested community members..

just don't put anything out on Boyce Codd.... i'm saving that for myself

MVDBA

• Online persona?  Is that sort of like being an 'influencer'?

I guess there's nothing wrong with being one, it's just the believing one!.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Grant, I've been trying to build a persona, as you put it, for years. At first I was against it. I was brought up with the idea that it is being prideful to boast about yourself. So, I didn't post anything. At some point I learned about WordPress and created an account there. But I just didn't get blogging, plus my upbringing not to brag. So, all I did with my WordPress blog was using it sort of like an online Favorites folder. I just posted links to sites I found interesting, mainly so I could find those links later. Finally, I think it was Steve Jones, conveyed to me the idea that posting online could help others. Then's when the light went off and I started to post things. I've not gotten far, on WordPress at least, but I'm getting better at it. I've got a question and a problem I've run into.

First the question. Grant, in your post you said that you've automated "... all of that stuff together". What stuff have you automated? Posting? Or posting to one platform, automatically sending something to another platform? Or something entirely different?

Second is the problem I've run into. I want to post a blog to my WordPress account and to my GitHub directory, on an issue I'm interested in sharing. However, I've run into a problem trying to push my commits to GitHub. In this case, my GitHub I'm trying to push to is public. When I try pushing to the repo, GitHub stops me and warns me that my private email address would be exposed as a part of the act of pushing the commit. Of course I don't want that. GitHub does provide a No-Reply, fake email address that looks like its from GitHub. But the solution provided informs me that implementing it would affect, as I understand it, all my Git actions on my development machine. I also use Azure DevOps Services for source control and I use Git on Azure DevOps, too. I do NOT want this GitHub solution to change how I interact with Azure DevOps! What are your suggestions for resolving this issue?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I'm going to state this the best way I can:

I don't know enough about automating Git to help you. Sorry. You're just beyond what I'm comfortable with there.

The automation I was talking about was linking together all the different social media. I use Pocket to gather interesting stuff. I use Buffer to schedule tweets. I tie most of the things together using If This Then That. So a blog post of mine will be tweeted after I publish it. It'll get added to a queue for a second tweet later in the week. It will also automatically go to my Facebook page, LinkedIn, Reddit and a few other places.

I hope that helps.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply