Building Fact Table and doing lookup on Time Dimension

• Our source data has time specified as number of seconds since 1/1/1970.  The conversion from this number to date is accomplished with the following SQL:

select dateadd(second, txTime, '01/01/1970') as 'date' from <source_table>

(I hate the use of 'date' for a column name; but it predates me... pun intended).

Because I have two time fields in the same record that must have rows in the time_dim table, it is repeated for the second field.  Then prior to building the fact table there is a string of lookups that each add the appropriate foreign key.

The current SQL for the dates is:

select time_key_id, date as txTime, date as orgTxTime from time_dim

The problem is that I cannot map an input column to a reference column... it complains of incompatible column data types.  If I say to use a table instead of a query it automatically maps one column - but still gives the error.

I have already done the data conversion and I'm pretty sure of what I am mapping; but I cannot seem to get it.  Anyone (Kirk, Jamie) have any ideas?  Sure looks like a bug to me; but I'm always willing to accept operator error if I can get the job done.

Cheers,

david russell

• Please ignore the duplicate post - the mouse went a bit crazy and it jumped out of preview mode before I was ready to go

Cheers,

david russell

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply