Bug in DBCC CheckDB

• I've noticed that after a DBCC CheckDb (I do these before backing up) there is a message that I have never seen before in my 2005 and earlier logs.

It is:

Date3/19/2010 6:02:45 PM

LogSQL Server (Archive #1 - 4/1/2010 9:40:00 AM)

Sourcespid53

DBCC CHECKDB (<db name>) WITH no_infomsgs executed by <my domain account> found 0 errors and repaired 0 errors. Elapsed time: 0 hours 0 minutes 25 seconds. Internal database snapshot has split point LSN = 0000108d:000002c2:0001 and first LSN = 0000108d:000002c1:0001. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

Any ideas? This happens on ALL of my 2008 servers both physical and virtual.

• It's not a bug.

CheckDB requires a consistent view of the database in order to do the check. In SQL 2005/2008 in order to do so, it creates a hidden database snapshot. All that message is saying is that the point at which the snapshot was created was LSN 0000108d:000002c2:0001.

The message may be new in 2008, but that's all. You should see the same message if you create a manual database snapshot.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Whew!! I guess I missed that in the 2008 changes document!

Thank you SOOO much for the information.

Hawkeye DBA

• Hi - thanks for the info!

I ran a check this morning and got the same split point LSN message:

2011-06-06 13:13:27.980

spid75

DBCC CHECKDB (xxx) WITH all_errormsgs, no_infomsgs executed by xxx\xxx found 0 errors and repaired 0 errors. Elapsed time: 2 hours 53 minutes 6 seconds. Internal database snapshot has split point LSN = 00054fe4:0005e377:0001 and first LSN = 00054fe4:0005e376:0001. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

I know is states that no user action is required and purely informational, but is there anything I should be aware of\look out for\can do?

I found the same split point LSN message when I ran the light-weight check:

2011-06-06 10:18:36.650

spid75

DBCC CHECKDB (xxx) WITH physical_only executed by xxx\xxx found 0 errors and repaired 0 errors. Elapsed time: 0 hours 47 minutes 0 seconds. Internal database snapshot has split point LSN = 00054fe4:0005e2d4:0001 and first LSN = 00054fe4:0005e2d3:0001. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

• It is a purely informational message and no user intervention of any form is required.

All it's telling you is at which point the snapshot for the checkDB was split away from the main DB.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I've not had any negative effects related to this message when it comes directly after a dbcc checkdb commandso id say no its an expected behavior.

• Thanks all for the replies.

• GilaMonster - Monday, June 6, 2011 6:43 AM

It is a purely informational message and no user intervention of any form is required.All it's telling you is at which point the snapshot for the checkDB was split away from the main DB.

So why would the job fail? It is confusing.

• 7 year old thread. Please post new questions in a new thread and give as much detail as possible about your problem.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply