Bucket List Data

• I would have loved to have seen a shuttle launch. The UK is a bit far off. Maybe I can go and watch one of Elon Musk's little toys blast off one day.

• The one other area I used to track was my mileage on the original Prius as well. We tracked month by month, extrapolating against the other cars we almost bought. Paid back the "hybrid" tax in about 18 months.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/14/2014)

Good for you, and congrats.

Thanks! And I agree that even tracking a few data points on a consistent basis can be tough. For everything but finances, I use a Google spreadsheet, so I can update it from my home PC, my phone, or my tablet. That flexibility makes it a little easier.

• roworthm (11/14/2014)

I would have loved to have seen a shuttle launch. The UK is a bit far off. Maybe I can go and watch one of Elon Musk's little toys blast off one day.

At a post launch party, there was a couple from the UK that came for the launch. I could tell that she was a Star Wars fan because she had an X-Wing fighter tattooed on her leg.

• Concept2.com: free logging meters rowed on my Concept 2 erg rowing machine -- 3 million plus!! and virtual team challenges.

• Since receiving a high blood pressure warning from my doctor 2 years ago, I have tracked every step I take during the day, every bit of food (with rare exception) that I eat, every mile that I run, my weight from day to day, and my blood pressure twice a day.

This annoys some people, but it's led to me losing nearly 50 pounds, dropping three shirt sizes, and most importantly, my blood pressure is now normal. I'm in better shape now than I was in my 20's - I've spent half my life fat and out of shape - tracking these numbers have helped me change that.

• nwerner (11/14/2014)

Concept2.com: free logging meters rowed on my Concept 2 erg rowing machine -- 3 million plus!! and virtual team challenges.

nice! I should do that. far too much dust on my erg.

• Gary Varga (11/14/2014)

I completely avoid measuring aspects of my life. There is something in my nature that means that when I do I lose all focus on the event and concentrate on the numbers. This happens when reading on holiday, for example, when I set myself a target of the number of pages to read per day I then strive to achieve and beat the target as opposed to get the most out of the book (be it for pleasure or for learning).

I saw a concert recently where so many people where not watching and enjoying the performers but were watching through their mobiles like they were cameramen and women. I don't think that one engages in the same way when doing this.

When I live through numbers I am an abstraction away from enjoying life, much like the concert mobile phone recorders. So, no, I do not keep track. Works for some but not for me.

Could not have said it better!

+1

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• I used to track my car's fuel consumption until I got a car that did that for me. I used to use the figures to keep an eye on when the car needed servicing.

I could have just done it every 6,000 miles but that would mean servicing it every quarter. I generally found that every 9,000 miles worked for me and as the car did 200,000+ miles it clearly didn't do any damage!

I use the Strava app to measure my cycling performance. This can be a bit depressing as there are people who can go faster up a hill than I can go on the flat! Come to think of it the hill they climb I can't get up without a break!

I did consider getting a more detailed health monitor but I think it would just increase my stress levels and thus be counter productive. Come to think of it I think it is better to just enjoy life rather than measure it.

• My weight.

• United States visited: 47

Foreign Countries visited: 3

• Married 12 years and counting

Kids 3

Grandchildren - 0 and hopefully a few years yet before first

Age 46 and counting

I agree about people filming concerts etc.....I can never see the point as it means that you are not really experiencing the buzz. I feel the same way about people posting where they are on facebook at times. It seems to some that it is more important to boast than to actually enjoy!!

I use to keep a list of the gigs I had been to. Sadly stopped that many years ago.

• budbeth (11/17/2014)

United States visited: 47

Foreign Countries visited: 3

Almost the opposite for me; acouple more states a few less countries. Perhaps that is a perspective on the whole "Americans don't travel" that needs to be taken into account as the culture across the US is quite varied.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• In general foreign travel is quite expensive for Americans who are used to cheaper hotels and gasoline stateside, without the high cost of actually getting to the destination.

• Robert Sterbal-482516 (11/18/2014)

In general foreign travel is quite expensive for Americans who are used to cheaper hotels and gasoline stateside, without the high cost of actually getting to the destination.

Totally understandable to anyone with a globe or a world map. As usual facts are probably overlooked if they do not agree with bias 😉

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply