BTW(By The Way)

• Most people from this site are using 'BTW(By The Way)' when they answering for any post.

Actually, i want to know where exactly we need to use this BTW.

karthik

• Hi Steve,

Often you are talking about 'PASS CONFERENCE' or 'SUMMIT....'.

What does it?

karthik

• PASS is the Professional Association for SQL Server. They have an annual get together called the PASS Summit. This year it will be in November in Seattle. They also have special interest groups online that you can take part in and they act as an umbrella organization for local user groups providing speakers, infrastructure and communication. It's a great organization and taking part is a wonderful way to network with the leading lights of the industry.

Disclosure: I'm a volunteer for the organization, so I'm biased.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• As for BTW, I think it depends on the person who's writing the response. Some people use common online acronyms in their typing frequently, and other people may not use them as much.

You can find more on some of these here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Understand-Chat-Acronyms

• karthikeyan (1/4/2008)

Actually, i want to know where exactly we need to use this BTW.

You've probably seen it in my posts. It's just the way I tend to write. You don't have to use it, it's just a construct of the english language.

Generally it indicates that what follows is not related to the question at hand, but is worth mentioning.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Just remember that short-hand notation like BTW, OTOH, IIRC, are for very informal communication. You can use them on line, but you wouldn't want them in formal documentation, requests for a raise to the boss, things like that.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• OIDK... WFM! 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• BOHICA

:w00t:

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• ROFL

• LOL.

karthik

• A couple others that might not be on there but that you might hear from the technical support crowd:

- PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

- PICNIC: Problem In Chair Not In Computer

• Sarah Dutkiewicz (1/10/2008)

A couple others that might not be on there but that you might hear from the technical support crowd:

- PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

- PICNIC: Problem In Chair Not In Computer

..along with:

- ID-ten-T (otherwise written as id10t)

- a layer-8 issue (reference to the OSI 7 layer model, where the "next" layer up is and can only be the user)

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• How about this?

Intel inside, idiot outside.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply