broken/lost connection

• Hi.

I am running SQL Server 2000 on a Win Server 2003 SP1. I have two SQL server instances, LOCAL and ICS-CRM\BKUPEXEC. Following the procedure on microsoft.com to move the system DBs, I restarted the LOCAL instance with trace flag 3608 added to the startup parameters, detached the model DB, and moved the files to a new drive. Upon attempting to re-attach, query analyzer returned the message that the server could not be found. In Enterprise manager, the instance is shown as stopped, and will not restart. I receive the following message:

Server connection unexpectedly broken and cannot be reconnected.

I have tried rebooting the box to no avail. Anyone seen this? Thanks.

-Al

• Where is the new drive? Is still a part of the server or is it a network drive?

If it's a network drive, that won't work. It must be an attached drive (either part of the server or a SANS).

-SQLBill

• It's actually just a secondary partition on the same physical drive. But the issue is that the instance won't restart for me to do anything with it.

• In Enterprise Manager, right click on the instance, select Properties, click on Startup Parameters. Make sure those show the correct locations.

Also, you can right click on the My Computer icon, select Manage, go to Services and find the services for the instance. Try to manually start them.

-SQLBill

• Can't get to the properties dialog... get the message 'this server connection has been unexpectedly broken and cannot be reconnected'. Cannot restart the instance.

• Did you check the services? Are they started?  If not, manually start them.

-SQLBill

• I got it working somehow - don't ask me. I rebooted again and it came up. Microsoft.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply