Brits Make Good Hackers

• I know there's more to the article on patching than this, but I thought it was an interesting comment from Mary Ann Davidson, Oracle's Chief Security Office. "the British are particularly good at hacking as they have 'the perfect temperament to be hackers--technically skilled, slightly disrespectful of authority, and just a touch of criminal behavior.'"

We have a lot of British members here and I think that's quite the statement from Oracle. I wonder how many software deals just fell through and if we'll see an apology soon. I'm surprised that Microsoft and IBM haven't jumped all over this and have their salespeople working around the clock across the pond.

Or maybe they have.

Aside from this comment, the article is interesting and it's mainly how I feel. The industry doesn't do a great job of building its products and relies on patching, installed bases that don't want to change, and the protection of their EULA agreements. I'm surprised that things are not getting more regulated, at least as far as the government goes since they have a clear security need above others.

Not that companies don't try. The engineers and developers try hard and they take pride in their products. And I think they do a great job and get better all the time. I think it's the marketing and financial people that take over and compromise the potential of great products with the desire to get features out there and sales occurring.

Like many businesses, too many software companies are run as investments with no tolerance for failure than businesses that seek to provide a great product or service and let profit fall where it will.

Steve Jones

• . I wonder how many software deals just fell through and if we'll see an apology soon.

To be honest, I don't think anyone in the tech industry from Britain would take that offensively. On the contrary, I think we'd take it as a compliment or just laugh about it. That was a royal "we"

Perhaps that's a cultural difference between the US and GB? A criticism of americans often heard on these shores is that they take themselves slightly too seriously.

• Very true.  I thought "technically skilled, slightly disrespectful of authority, and just a touch of criminal behavior" summed us up very nicely, thanks!

• It's funny. Since I wrote this I've seen some other commentaries and threads and most UK citizens seem to be pleased by the description. Guess maybe it was a good comment.

• Of course if we wanted to get picky about it, I could complain about the spelling of behaviour!

• Definately agree it was a compliment.

As a Brit I like the idea of being genetically inclined towards hacking!

Richard

• I'm not sure about the criminal bit but other than that it is a good description.

The other thing that makes Brit's good hackers is having to deliver miracles using hardware/software long past its sell by date.

I once worked for the British arm of an American business printing company. We inherited the worn out American junk mail machines but our ex-RAF engineer kept them working beautifully with bits of broom handle counter balanced with a bog roll with precisely 512 sheets left on it, 1/2 inch paint brushes (to brush the catalogues shut after a flyer had been inserted).

An American director once asked why his mail line had a 1/2 inch paint brush on it and was told because a 1/4 inch brush wouldn't do and the finance director was too tight to sign off on a 3/4 inch one.

• British Armed Forces.

Renowned for their ability to fix absolutely anything with bits of old rope, cardboard, paper clips and 'black nasty'. (kind of strong black tape with woven fabric inside)

• is that where MacGyver did his training?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply