Book list

• I was wondering if there has ever been any thought to creating a page on this website that would list books (and other references) that have been recommend by other members. It seems about once a week I will see a post from someone asking for book suggestions for topic X.

The list could be organized by topic and maybe allow to sort by author, title, etc. I realize recommended books are subjective to personal opinion, so having a way for people to post comments and ratings about the books could be feasible. I know this is kind of like Amazon, but I just did a search on SQL Server and came up with 5500 books!

Thanks,

Ian.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Ian,

Not a bad idea, but it might be hard to find. I'm sure that people post new questions since they don't search, or want to search, for other threads. Easier just to post your own question.

Maybe this thread is the place!

I'd recommend the Inside SQL Server series as a place to start.

• 2 recommendations, one request.

I strongly recommend the following two books

Guru's guide to SQL Server architecture and internals by Ken Henderson. It was written for SQL 2000, but is still a fantastic resource for windows and SQL internals.

Practical Database Troubleshooting. Written by members of the SQL dev team and the PSS team. Edited by Ken Henderson.

Does anyone know a good reference on regular expressions?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply