Biz#

• No it's not the .NET implementation of a programming language for BizTalk, instead it's Microsoft's BI Offering that incorporates the BI Scorecard technology, software from Proclarity, and more. I'm not a BI guy and I don't see BI catching on as the next big thing, so I can't really comment on that.

But I do think it's funny that there seems to be a trend toward "sharp" products. Recently I saw an article on "Script#, for Ajax development and now a product called Biz#. What's next? Win# for scripting AD/WMI tasks?

Will we soon see Mail# for those Exchange guys?

And we wouldn't want to leave out the SMS folks, like my buddies Dean and Smiley. They've got to be anxiously awaiting Manage# for deploying software and inventorying clients.

And of course, it's probably an SP3 or maybe SQL Server 2008 change when the marketing folks bring us SQL# to allow us to deploy SQL code into .NET applications which query the result sets returned by ADO#.

My son, however, is really looking forward to Halo#, the new language that will let him easily build his own virtual worlds in the soon to be released Halo3 for the XBOX360

or maybe XBOX 360#

Steve Jones

• It is interesting that you refer to # as 'sharp' I did a SQL Server Training Camp course recently in the UK, with an instructor called Samir from the US. He kept asking us to press the 'pound' key, and it took us a while to realise he was referring to the 'hash' key #.

So when I see Biz#, I read it as Biz-hash.

I think you are right though Steve, looks like Microsoft is going to make a hash (sorry, I mean sharp) of everything...

Can we expect 'Java Beans Hash'  from Sun Microsoystems?

David

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

• Do they have a trial download? We are struggling with Cognos, these tools are less than optimal, shall we say. There's a decent market opportunity for MS now.

• "Sharp" is correct, though Biz# is "Biz hash" or "Biz pound sign" or "Biz number sign" depending where you are from.

The correct representation is with the sharp sign rather than the hash/pound sign, as can be seen from the box.  The # symbol is probably used for simplicity in text-based applications, and because it can't be rendered in many fonts (like this one).

• >And of course, it's probably an SP3 or maybe SQL Server 2008 change when the marketing >folks bring us SQL# to allow us to deploy SQL code into .NET applications which query the >result sets returned by ADO#.

Well it's not called SQL# (yet!), it's called LINQ

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=115010#115010

• Steve Jones scribbled:

> I'm not a BI guy and I don't see BI catching on as the next big thing, so I can't really comment on that.

Steve, what Colorado cave have you been living in? BI has been and will be the "next big thing" for a while. It's been top of mind for CIOs for the past year or two and it's the focus of the largest spending in many sectors for FY06: energy, health care, retail... Why do you think that such big investments are being made in the SQL Server BI stack (SSAS, SSRS, SSIS)? Those aren't old-fashioned relational/OLTP tools.

It's why such large bets are being placed on acquiring ProClarity and adding other new technologies (Performance Point, all of the Dynamics suite, BizTalk 2006 R2, etc). DBAs of the world may not have noticed that one of the critical foci for the next Office wave is IW and BI enabling technologies (rolling SharePoint fully into the Office 12 suite, integrating advanced ProClarity visualizations, etc), but... very soon users will be pointing a lot more than Excel at your OLAP cubes and OLTP databases. [Not to mention the SarbOx compliance needs!]

SQL Server is the critical enabling technology of all Microsoft-based BI efforts; however, it's not the place where the fastest growth is going to occur, IME. Management wants a better view of what's in their databases. Executives want to do more than store ERP data – they want to use it to model and predict what the next 8 quarters have in store for the enterprise. BI isn't "just reporting" – it's making the best use of what you know.

I think you really are a BI guy, Steve... Every dba is. Y'all just haven't realized it yet!

• Don't forget about "Biz octothorp"!  

• There has long been a correlation between music and computer science (since I was in college in the early 90s, at the very least).  I am certain they took "sharp" from music as in "half-step up".

Have to agree though... that BI is huge and getting bigger.  Although one could argue that (in some cases) BI is just being used to cover up poor design in the transactional system. 

• I'm not in a cave, rather I've been reading the BI thing since 1999 when SQL Server 7 was in beta. It hasn't caught on as the mainstream technology because it's very complex and hard to implement. Lots of companies will implement a cube somewhere in a BI solution, but it pales in comparison with the other efforts and continuing investment in relational technologies.

It's definitely growing and it's a buzzword now, but I just haven't seen it become the big thing it's made out to be.

I guess I do see the BI craze as more of an SSAS/cube implementation, which is very complex to understand. I'm definitely all for producing BI from a relational store

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply