BIT Primary Key

• Hugo Kornelis (1/29/2013)

wolfkillj (1/29/2013)

(And yes, I know I spelled DR0P TABLE with a zero instead of an "O". In posting on this forum, I have discovered the my employer seems to have some kind of security filter that blocks outgoing web traffic that includes certain SQL statements. If I spelled DR0P TABLE correctly, that filter would catch this post and return a message that my machine is unable to communicate with the server.)

*lol* This sounds like someone read the famous "Bobby Tables" cartoon[/url] - and then completely misunderstood it! *lol*

"Little Bobby Tables" is very well known around here, so I don't think that's the problem. Plus, the filter catches outgoing content. The filter only seems to catch certain T-SQL statements, though. I'll have to ask the sysops or infosec guys about this next time I'm in their end of the building.

Jason Wolfkill

• Thanks for the question. Glad I was right on it.

Also thanks to demonfox and others for the further details into the refresher on the bit data type

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• Nice easy question, with a bonus discussion about one-row tables. 🙂

On the second thought, the table in the question allows 0 or 1 rows, while Hugo's example ensures that the table, once the first row is inserted, will always have exactly 1 row.

• Nice one. I noticed the bit data type, but wasn't even thinking about binary vs decimal. Doh.

And I even told someone today the line I stole from (sorry can't remember at the moment whoit belongs to) someone's sig line: "There are 10 types of people ...." Need more rest. 🙂

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Nice Question..

Thanks..

• Easy one. And greats Hugo Cornelis's contributions.

• Nice easy one..

Thanks

• Great, sneaky question.

😛

Thanks a lot.

• Lokesh Vij (1/28/2013)

Easy question for the day!

I agree with the explanation by "demonfox", here is the BOL link for BIT datatype:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177603.aspx

It clearly says "any non-zero value will be converted to 1". I could not find the concept of the number being converted into binary and than getting truncated. Can anyone pour some light on what is happening internally?

+1

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Good and Easy one

• Nice question Thomas! I'm seeing more references to SQL check constraints out on the Interwebs than I remember in the past.

Cheers,

Andre Ranieri

• interesting

not useful but interesting

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply