Billing of Materials query

• Hi there,

I'd be grateful if someone could help:)

I have a BoM issue.

The table below shows the components, A's being the highest level component B's are child components and C child components of B.. etc.

The table has two columns Parent and Child. Each parent can have many components and there can be up to 15 levels. (to keep it simple, I have given 4 levels)

Parent Child

A1 B1

A1 B2

A1 B3

B1 C1

B1 C2

B1 C3

C1 D1

C1 D2

D1 E1

D1 E2

A2 B4

A2 B5

B5 C4

In this table A1, is related to B1, B2, B3 and indirectly related to all components within the top ten rows. It then goes to A2, to make this simple, none of the rows and indirect rows are related to the top ten rows.

What I want to attempt to produce is query with a Parent (A) parameter. When selected should look like this:

select Material from BoM where parent = 'A1' (purely just an example select for brevity)

Result

B1

B2

B3

C1

C2

C3

D1

D2

E1

E2

This is basically a list of all the components related directly or indirectly to A1.

The reason to do this is to list Quantities and purchase costs which I'll add later. As long as I can create this column of related components I'll be able to work out the rest.

Does anyone have a good solution for this?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

• ok, i think this recursive CTE generates allt eh sub parts you are looking for:

DECLARE @Table Table(

Parent varchar(2),

Child varchar(2) )

INSERT @Table

SELECT 'A1','B1' UNION ALL

SELECT 'A1','B2' UNION ALL

SELECT 'A1','B3' UNION ALL

SELECT 'B1','C1' UNION ALL

SELECT 'B1','C2' UNION ALL

SELECT 'B1','C3' UNION ALL

SELECT 'C1','D1' UNION ALL

SELECT 'C1','D2' UNION ALL

SELECT 'D1','E1' UNION ALL

SELECT 'D1','E2' UNION ALL

SELECT 'A2','B4' UNION ALL

SELECT 'A2','B5' UNION ALL

SELECT 'B5','C4';

WITH Dependencies AS(

SELECT Parent, Child

FROM @Table

WHERE Parent = 'A1'

UNION ALL

SELECT t.Parent, t.Child

FROM @Table t

JOIN Dependencies d ON t.Parent = d.Child

)

SELECT Child

FROM Dependencies

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks for responding Lowell,

The only issue with this technique is that there are literally 10s of thousands of parts so I'm not sure if this technique would work; I wont be able to hard code the values for this reason.

• cidr (9/19/2012)

Thanks for responding Lowell,

The only issue with this technique is that there are literally 10s of thousands of parts so I'm not sure if this technique would work; I wont be able to hard code the values for this reason.

because you did not provide any table names, i had to generate the data based on what you posted.

by obfuscating everything to A1,A2 parent/Child, you lost the ability to get an answer you can translate over easily.

if you substitute 4 things in the example i provided, it will work with your data:

@Table <--> change to the real table name

Parent <-->real column name

child <--> real column name

WHERE Parent = 'A1' <-->change 'A1' to the real value

WITH Dependencies AS(

SELECT Parent, Child

FROM @Table

WHERE Parent = 'CAR'

UNION ALL

SELECT t.Parent, t.Child

FROM @Table t

)

SELECT Parent,Child

FROM Dependencies

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell (9/19/2012)

cidr (9/19/2012)

Thanks for responding Lowell,

because you did not provide any table names, i had to generate the data based on what you posted.

by obfuscating everything to A1,A2 parent/Child, you lost the ability to get an answer you can translate over easily.

if you substitute 4 things in the example i provided, it will work with your data:

@Table <--> change to the real table name

Parent <-->real column name

child <--> real column name

WHERE Parent = 'A1' <-->change 'A1' to the real value

WITH Dependencies AS(

SELECT Parent, Child

FROM @Table

WHERE Parent = 'CAR'

UNION ALL

SELECT t.Parent, t.Child

FROM @Table t

)

SELECT Parent,Child

FROM Dependencies

And I thought there was no spoon. 😉

• Lowell 2012-09-12

Ah, I'm sorry Lowell, my bad, I've been zoned out all day I didn't realise that the values weren't hard coded and that the code was creating a table variable.

Sorry about that, you're answer looks good.

Thanks so much

• Lynn Pettis (9/19/2012)

And I thought there was no spoon. 😉

@67 posts, i didn't think this was homework for the OP, and i got all excited about making a recursive CTE work before someone else beat me to to it.

spoon fed answers, yeah, guilty as charged.

Lowell

• lowell 2012-09-12

@67 posts, i didn't think this was homework for the OP, and i got all excited about making a recursive CTE work before someone else beat me to to it.

Haha, I'm sorry but I do not know what this means; what's an OP? :w00t:

• cidr (9/19/2012)

lowell 2012-09-12

Haha, I'm sorry but I do not know what this means; what's an OP? :w00t:

lol just shorthand for "Original Poster".

Lowell

• Lowell 2012-09-12

lol just shorthand for "Original Poster".

Er, I'll take that as a compliment.

I really have been out of touch for the last year 😀

• CELKO (9/20/2012)

... I got gigged on that when I did my first BOM job.

I don't think anyone really cares, except maybe you and your pet mouse.

• It is Called Adjency List model and it is very common in Relational databases

Organisation hierachy, BOMs and Menu structures are three uses for it. Intil SQL2005 came along it was a PITA to programme.

Celcko won't like it because recursive CTEs are a Microsoft specific extension to the SQL syntax. By all means read his book (or any other posts on the web about it), but if you are working in SQL2005 or higher, then use CTEs.

Before anyone says what about portability - really - how often do you port database from one platform to another.

• CELKO (9/20/2012)

It how non-SQL programmers mimicked the pointer chains in SQL that they knew from assembly language and old network databases.

I wonder if Dr. Codd would take exception to that since he was one of the first to propose it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• aaron.reese (9/20/2012)

It is Called Adjency List model and it is very common in Relational databases

Organisation hierachy, BOMs and Menu structures are three uses for it. Intil SQL2005 came along it was a PITA to programme.

Celcko won't like it because recursive CTEs are a Microsoft specific extension to the SQL syntax. By all means read his book (or any other posts on the web about it), but if you are working in SQL2005 or higher, then use CTEs.

Before anyone says what about portability - really - how often do you port database from one platform to another.

If you consider the fact that Celko uses a 1950s push-stack and While loop to convert Adjacency Lists to Nested Sets, you can certainly understand his dislike for Adjacency Lists. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply