big query

• Hi all,

Today, we got one query for performance tuning, which is like, selecting 460 columns from 60 tables.

My doubts

1. I feel the no of columns are too high. are the no of columns or tables ok for any query in general ?

( i am not talking about maximum no of columns or tables given by MS sql server)

2.I have never come across such a big query, can this type of query be tuned by placing the useful indexes

3.Do I need to break this into multiple queries. ?

Please advice, based on your info, if required, I will post the DDL

Thank you

• You might need to post more information to get good advice. Check the following article to know how to do it.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Thanks for the reply Luis, but I have come to know that the query is built using hibernate. so it automatically creates the query in the application.

I am not sure this can be modified with our modified query

• So there's nothing we can do to help as you can't control the query?

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply