BIG HELP Needed!!

• Now I am getting Password does not match that for the login provided. This is in the SQL server logs.

But I can refresh the link on any table....it does not make sense!!

• It still says NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM Failed to open the explicitly specified database. Then dies.

• What is the default database set to for NT Authority\SYSTEM - if master, can you change it to the desired database and give it a try?

• Just in case it wasn't clear before, you should not need to have

NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM setup as a Login on your SQL Server instance and you definitely should need to have that Login as a member of the sysadmin Role.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• I did not create this database nor setup this ODBC, I am just trying to get it to work again. Why /SYSTEM is doing anything, I don't know. But I know it is stopping me from working.

• No problem. Just a general sense of concern that you're creating a security exposure and that from a troubleshooting perspective having the behavior change after making a change like that would not compute under normal circumstances. Seems like you're definitely dealing with something non-standard though.

Can you tell more about the environment? Any firewalls or other network security equipment in place between the workstation where Access is started and the SQL Server? Any patches or other environments you know of happen lately?

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Don't ask me how.

We created a new user to the DB and then we had to go TABLE BY TABLE reconnecting the link.

After that - it all worked again.

Good lord that was annoying!

• Well, I'm glad you have it working again.

However, please don't discount the security concerns raised by myself and others. You need to keep control over what logins have sysadmin privs on your SQL Server. Keep the number as low as possible, make sure they're trusted people and don't share logins. This, just like disabling the standard sa account, is basic to having any security at all. In fact, mine never change, but I still audit them as a part of my regularly-scheduled security audit. In fact, if the sa login ever does become enabled, I'm notified within 20 minutes. Since there are only two of us who have permission to enable it, it isn't very likely to happen. The point is that it's that important.

All we're doing in telling you about this is trying to save you trouble later in life.

• It's been more than 10 years since I last worked on Access.

That said, the scenario you described was not an unfamiliar one.

The solution was to create a table that held a list of all the linked tables and connection details. We then created a macro that fired when Access was opened. It would drop and recreate all of the linked tables based on the config table which was stored in Access.

• Try refreshing the links to the Tables in Access. In Access 2010 the Linked Table Manager is in the External Data tab. Not sure about 2013 but you should find it there or maybe under the File options. This should try to reestablish the connections and refresh the links to the tables.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply