BI Tools: one time connection configuration

• Hi,

I work on SQL Server 2012 Business Intelligence tools SSAS Multidim, SSAS Tabular, SSRS, SSIS, PowerPivot...etc.

In our current organization, we are using mostly PowerPivot and SSAS Tabular. we use Oracle Exadata as a data source. If you want to connect to data source, you will set up a connection in your solution file in SQL Server Data Tools. The Developer has to enter the ID and password for oracle database.

As our organization is tightening the security, we would like to maintain a config file instead of each individual to create a connection in their solutions.

In .net applciations, we set up a .config file with database connections and refer that to connect to code. Is there any similar way in MSBI tools too?

In Business Objects, there is a connection manager where admin set up the connections at once and provide read access to developers. I am looking for similar kind of functionality here in MSBI. Is this possible or not?

Thank you

Venkat.

Thank You

• There is nothing similar to how you manage connections with .NET. I am not sure on the SSAS, PowerPivot, PowerBI portion as I don't do much with either of those tools. However SSIS and SSRS can use particular files under each project type that could be used for creating a data source. Although you will have no control over whether a developer uses it or not, outside of just telling them they have to use it.

However, even if you could if you are tightening up your security and want to maintain a config file it would tell me you are going to use shared accounts. [If you are not using Windows Authentication.] If so, that is not tightening up your security but leaving a whole. If using a shared account is the end result how do you know who used it?

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply