Better Writing

• The table should be named Contact, not Contacts. (IMO) That's another can o' worms. 😉

• Another great place to practice writing is on a wiki. Our internal wiki documents our processes and I find it helpful for getting my writing good enough for someone else to follow the procedures.

• GilaMonster (1/21/2014)

I would consider myself a reasonably competent writer, English is my first language and I've been writing for years. I still, when I submit something for review, get it back with comments on punctuation (I tend to abuse commas) and phrasings, the occasional incorrect word and the odd spelling mistake. That's even with Word's spelling and grammar checks on. Perfect writing, without an editor, is hard. Damn hard.

If anyone doesn't believe me, write up a short article and ask someone to edit it for you. 🙂

I think this is a critical key. Write something, practice writing more and more. And after you have written something - have a friend, colleague, co-worker, somebody edit what you have written. The editing is a huge part of the learning process and it can shed some light on how the article will be received.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• The first point I want to make is that I am amazed at the number of contributors to SSC and Simple Talk that are not only technically brilliant but also have wonderful writing skills (or great editors 🙂 ). Fabulous combo (I could read Phil F's stuff all day).

Next, just a couple of pointers that serve me well.

1) Never enter the name of the email recipients (in "To" or "CC") until you've proof read your message for content, tone, and grammar. Much like using a safety on a firearm.

2) Resist the urge to compose your message/article/post directly into a forum post but rather use a professional tool like Word and paste after editing it there. You will likely produce a finer response.

• this article made me laugh. there is rarely a day where you do not have some sort of grammatical mistake etc. there's even one here...

..."and possibly impress someone else that could offer you a job. " 'that' should be 'who', as it is a person not a thing...

• steve.neumann (1/22/2014)

this article made me laugh. there is rarely a day where you do not have some sort of grammatical mistake etc. there's even one here...

..."and possibly impress someone else that could offer you a job. " 'that' should be 'who', as it is a person not a thing...

I know Steve prides himself on constant improvement. I have seen some minor typos, but nothing that prevented me from understanding his point. If even 10% of the population put in as much effort at self improvement as he does, the world would be a far better place.

What I can't stand is those individuals who make no attempt to write properly, or who obviously have no ability to communicate, but they get offended when someone questions the meaning of their writing.

Dave

this article made me laugh. there is rarely a day where you do not have some sort of grammatical mistake etc. there's even one here...

I've corrected that typo, and hope I won't make it again.

If I make mistakes most days, then I'd like to hear about it, though I'd prefer the common courtesy of sending me a note rather than ridiculing me here.

It's so much easier to pick on other's mistakes, isn't it...

Seriously, for those mocking Steve's mistakes or any other writer's mistakes, try to write a a article every day, or even every week, send it to someone else and see how many mistakes (grammar, spelling and punctuation) they pick up.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • djackson 22568 (1/22/2014)

steve.neumann (1/22/2014)

I know Steve prides himself on constant improvement. I have seen some minor typos, but nothing that prevented me from understanding his point. If even 10% of the population put in as much effort at self improvement as he does, the world would be a far better place.

What I can't stand is those individuals who make no attempt to write properly, or who obviously have no ability to communicate, but they get offended when someone questions the meaning of their writing.

Agreed. I don't want to ridicule peoples' writing nor do I want mine ridiculed, however, there are those who could make a bit of effort and gain so much more from it e.g. I have noticed that I am more positive with regards to a request for help posted on a forum where the writer has made a bit of effort to ensure that the reader can understand what they are asking.

PS Steve, in my opinion, your writing has improved since you started this website. Not that it was bad in the first place. I think that we all gain from the effort you have put in. Cheers!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/22/2014)

If I make mistakes most days, then I'd like to hear about it, though I'd prefer the common courtesy of sending me a note rather than ridiculing me here.

A suggested lesson for any site, not just SSC.

I have more than once taken the time to do a quick cut and paste into an e-mail-- the suggested change. Typed the recipient's email and hit send.

Remember: "Praise in Public, Correct in Private"

----------------
    Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.

• GilaMonster (1/23/2014)

steve.neumann (1/22/2014)

It's so much easier to pick on other's mistakes, isn't it...

Seriously, for those mocking Steve's mistakes or any other writer's mistakes, try to write a a article every day, or even every week, send it to someone else and see how many mistakes (grammar, spelling and punctuation) they pick up.

I am an awesome writer, never making any mistakes or typos. My writing is always clear and unambiguous. No issues ever.

Well except for all the mistakes I make! Usually (politely) pointed out by some of the members of this forum, which leads to me cringing about how I thought I wrote it correctly and can't believe how bad I messed up!

None of us are perfect. Those who really believe they are perfect are usually the worst.

Dave

• Jim P. (1/23/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/22/2014)

I have more than once taken the time to do a quick cut and paste into an e-mail-- the suggested change. Typed the recipient's email and hit send.

A great way to handle it, but sometimes, when done properly and without malice, it is beneficial to point it out to the group inside the thread. For example, if someone wrote instructions on how to perform a task and said "make sure to ..." when they meant "make sure NOT to ...", correcting that thread might prevent someone from later using it and causing a loss of data. Those instances are probably not all that common though.

Dave

• djackson 22568 (1/23/2014)

A great way to handle it, but sometimes, when done properly and without malice, it is beneficial to point it out to the group inside the thread. For example, if someone wrote instructions on how to perform a task and said "make sure to ..." when they meant "make sure NOT to ...", correcting that thread might prevent someone from later using it and causing a loss of data. Those instances are probably not all that common though.

In those cases I agree. But I will do my best to phrase it as "are you sure you didn't mean" -- not "hey idiot I think you screwed up."

----------------
    Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.

• Jim P. (1/23/2014)

djackson 22568 (1/23/2014)

In those cases I agree. But I will do my best to phrase it as "are you sure you didn't mean" -- not "hey idiot I think you screwed up."

As long as you say Mr Idiot I don't mind 😀

• djackson 22568 (1/23/2014)

Jim P. (1/23/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/22/2014)

I have a bad habit of switching 'or' and 'of' in a sentence. It's very hard for me to see that I've done it and it often results in a grammatically correct sentence, so Word's grammar check doesn't flag it. It can completely change the meaning of the sentence however...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply