Better to do this in SQL or in Reporting Services Report?

• I'm doing a Reporting Services Report on a SQL 2005 DB using Visual Studio 2005. My data will consist of about 32 columns but I will have a maximum of 10 rows (variable from 1-10).

I've done some reading on the pivot functionality in SQL 2005 but most of what I read seems to say that the pivot functionality is for aggregating data which I don't want... I simply want to convert the rows to columns and the columns to rows.

Can I do this in a SQL 2005 stored procedure or is this more easily accomplished in a Reporting Services Report?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob

• Perhaps you could just bring the data into excel and do the pivot and formatting there. Reporting Services may be a bit much for just one report.

• Hi Bob

In your case (32/10 matrix) I wold do it within the report. The graphical interface is more simple to handle and has more features.

Greets

Flo

• I am under the assumption that the matrix requires an aggregation of at least one field. Is that a wrong assumption?

• Hi Bob

Yes, if you want to use a pivot you have to define an aggregation between the X and Y axis.

If you just want to show the data of your result use a usual table.

Greets

Flo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply