Best way to move data to laptops

• We would like to move data to laptops (eventually around 190 of them) on a periodic basis (several times a year) so applications can be run off-line from our current DB.

Our current environment is SS 2000 but have a 2005 Dev Ed in house to learn and prepare for migration.

We initially thought about setting up Access (there are only 3-4 tables involved) but am now investigating MSDE with snapshot replication.

I currently have snapshot replication set up for other databases.

Am I on the right track here? Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

• Steve,

I'd think replication here. If it's one way, then snapshot should work. If you need two way, merge will work, but you might want to hire someone that's an expert to give you some advice here.

• My co-worker is setting this up and replication looks like it is going to work. He is setting it up to use Windows Synchronization Manager to pull down the snap shot when a specific user logs on instead of scheduling it.

Steve

• Be careful about that. Someone logging in for 5 minutes to check email might get tourqued, or get into problems if you're downloading something that takes longer. I'd warn people or give them the option to proceed with it.

I also wouldn't do this every time someone logs in. That's annoying.

• Steve,

This would only occur for a specific login (not the intended end users) and would be used by an administrator to refresh the database for the current needs.

I could see how it would be annoying for this to happen every time the end user logged in.

These laptops will contain voter registration information and will only be used during an election at a polling place. There will be no connection to the internet or or local network so there shouldn't be any e-mail use on these laptops.

Thanks.

Steve

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply