Best Strategy for Implementing (23) Incremental Table Loads

• Hi All,

This is more a question of theory than a technical one, but here it goes. I need to mirror (23) SQL tables in one database over to another database. The goal is to maintain an exact copy of these tables found in the source db over in the destination db, and then tying those tables in with other tables to do BI.

So, do I create (23) separate packages (one for each table) and then create a master package that employs the logic of activating them all? Or do I try to employ all the incremental table loads in one big package? I imagine the Control Flow logic will become a big bowl of spaghetti with the first option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jerid

• Jerid421 (11/17/2016)

Hi All,

This is more a question of theory than a technical one, but here it goes. I need to mirror (23) SQL tables in one database over to another database. The goal is to maintain an exact copy of these tables found in the source db over in the destination db, and then tying those tables in with other tables to do BI.

So, do I create (23) separate packages (one for each table) and then create a master package that employs the logic of activating them all? Or do I try to employ all the incremental table loads in one big package? I imagine the Control Flow logic will become a big bowl of spaghetti with the first option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jerid

Separate packages is the way to go, IMO. Then you can easily play around with parallelism in the master package. You will also find that it is very much easier to maintain and to debug any errors (because the source of those errors will be much more readily apparent).

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Separate packages are advised for maintenance.

• Thanks Phil. I thought that I was going down the right path (and for the same reasons). : )

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply