best sql dba books

• Please suggest me the best sql dba books in the world. It should explain each topic in full depth.

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• So, probably not going to have a single book that explains "each topic in full depth".

I have two books that I've written, totaling about 1,300 pages between the two of them. One covers query tuning. The other covers execution plans. Yet, neither covers every topic "in full depth". There's always more depth. Always.

My recommendations are to get several books. First, Itzik Ben Gan's T-SQL book, a must. Peter Carter has an introductory book that's probably decent. Then, yeah, I'd suggest my two books on query tuning & execution plans. After that, there are books specializing in topics like Availability Groups, AWS, Azure, Query Store, all sorts of stuff. Get the ones that you need.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• something I wish I had studied earlier in my dba career is normalization; Either before or alongside studying the materials on using SQL server.

Also, hugely useful thing to watch if you are starting from zero experience: how to think like SQL server, video from Brent Ozar on youtube.

• Database design books - college level

SQL server hand books - lots to choose from.  Grant Fritchey has some!

Videos:

Brent Ozar videos / Pinal Dave - SQL authority / (Jonathan Kehayias / SQL skills.com)

SQL Server Database Administration Tips / Developer tips

MSSQLTips.com

DBASupport

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply