Best Practices/Standards - to include or not to include database owner for table names

• Off the top of my head, I think there would be one procedure cache miss when it looks for tables owner by the user (assuming the user is not aliased to dbo), then it will pick up the existing plan (assuming there is one) when it resolves to the default schema (assuming that is where the unqualified tables are).

Bit rushed, hope it makes sense.

• There are absolute, demonstrable, performance issues when you don't schema qualify the tables, views, stored procedures & UDF's. You can get away with not doing it, yes, but you're paying a price. Further, you're assuming a single owner for all objects in the database. I'm working more and more with multi-schema databases seperating out tables for security & functional reasons into different schema's. You can't assume a single schema and unique names in database design any more.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• FYI, I just did a small test. I took one of the procedures that I mentioned in another post, you know, the one that has 3 selects, each with 32 joins. None were schema-qualified. I made a copy of the proc, and schema-qualified all the objects in the copy.

I set up profiler per Roy's article, filtered for just the SPID of the query window actually running the procs, with these events:

Lock:Acquired

Lock:Realeased

SP:CacheMmiss

SP:Completed

SP:Recompile

SP:Starting

SQL:BatchCompleted

SQL:BatchStarting

couldn't find: SP:ExecContextHit

In a separate query window (w/ sa access) I ran DBCC FreeProcCache prior to each run of these procs:

Schema-qualified proc, w/ schema-qualified objects: 21,426 events in profiler.

Schema-qualified proc, w/o schema-qualified objects: 21,426 events in profiler.

non-schema-qualified proc, w/ schema-qualified objects: 21,426 events in profiler.

non-schema-qualified proc, w/o schema-qualified objects: 21,426 events in profiler.

all the same.....Go figure :unsure:

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Wayne,

With an empty proc cache, isn't that what you would expect?

Once the proc in question has run once, you should see a cache hit instead of a cache miss with the schema-qualified version (all things being equal). You should still get a cache miss first with the non-chema-qualified version.

Cheers,

Paul

• For those of you actively following this thread:

I gave my input, and here is the rebuttal I received (see below). I've decided to leave the argument be for now (I def don't want to get fired :crazy:)... But can someone please tell me what the heck this means? We as developers don't login as the special user 'dbo', although we are given dbo access, which looks like may be revoked in the near future.

The response noted here:

Yes, I knew about how the SQL Server resolves objects when the owner is not given, Sybase did the same thing, back in the day. Anyway, there is some work going on about access to the SQL Servers and stripping the owner will help work into the options we are reviewing. One of the issues with specifying the owner is that when a developer is developing a stored procedure, they would have to be logged in as “dbo” in order to compile it for use by the application. Having everyone login as “dbo” is not the best solution because it gives more access then need be. Thus my move for stripping the owner off the object names.

• nataliehinnen (4/30/2009)

The response noted here:

Yes, I knew about how the SQL Server resolves objects when the owner is not given, Sybase did the same thing, back in the day. Anyway, there is some work going on about access to the SQL Servers and stripping the owner will help work into the options we are reviewing. One of the issues with specifying the owner is that when a developer is developing a stored procedure, they would have to be logged in as “dbo” in order to compile it for use by the application. Having everyone login as “dbo” is not the best solution because it gives more access then need be. Thus my move for stripping the owner off the object names.

Whoever that is, (s)he is a moroff.

Show them this:

-- Run this as a sysadmin or dbo

go

create procedure dbo.CompileMe

as

begin

select 'Hello World' as my_first_column;

end

go

-- A user without any permissions - they can't even log in

create user Foo without login with default_schema = dbo

-- Grant some rights

grant alter on object::dbo.CompileMe to Foo

grant execute on object::dbo.CompileMe to Foo

grant view definition on schema::dbo to Foo

grant showplan on database::Test to Foo

-- Become the user

execute as user = 'foo'

-- Run the proc

execute dbo.compileme

go

-- Change the proc

alter procedure dbo.CompileMe

as

begin

select 'Hello World Again' as my_first_column;

end

go

-- Run it again

execute dbo.compileme

-- Go back to original user id

revert

The permissions structure in SQL Server is complex and very flexible.

Your colleague needs to do some research.

Cheers,

Paul

• nataliehinnen (4/30/2009)

One of the issues with specifying the owner is that when a developer is developing a stored procedure, they would have to be logged in as “dbo” in order to compile it for use by the application. Having everyone login as “dbo” is not the best solution because it gives more access then need be. Thus my move for stripping the owner off the object names.

The conclusion doesn't follow the argument.

If the developer's aren't dbo, or don't have dbo as their default schema with attendant permissions to it then, when they create procedures leaving off the schema the procs will go into whatever their default schema is. That means that the app, unless it's looking in the other schemas and has permissions, won't be able to find them. Not good.

There's another problem too.

Developers with dbo access is fine, on a development machine which is where they should be doing all their development. They should, however have no more rights to prod than any other user. DBAs (with sysadmin) should be doing the deployment. That makes the permissions argument null and void.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I have the oddest feeling that they don't have separate dev/test/prod environments.

Maybe I am wrong...?

Paul

• Paul White (5/1/2009)

I have the oddest feeling that they don't have separate dev/test/prod environments.

I suspect as much, which is a far bigger stuff-up than dropping schema names from procs.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Agreed!

• I'm on board with questioning the ability of the person who said it's in the plan to drop the schema definition. We've been able to set developers up to create objects, even objects owned by dbo, without having them as database owners since 2000. It's not complicated or difficult. You just have to use the schema name.

Very simply, and this works in 2000/2005/2008, in the development environment we give the devs these privileges through a role:

db_datareader --obvious

db_datawriter --ditto

db_ddladmin --allows them to manipulate objects through ddl commands

db_securityadmin --allows them to assign security to objects

We then explicitly revoke their permissions to create tables, indexes...yada, yada, so that they can only create stored procedures, views and UDF's. It's easy and it absolutely works. We grant execution privileges to an application roll for all the stored procedures, which are usually assigned to the schema in which the tables live, so no extra work required there. Assign the developers to that roll as well so that they can impersonate the app when needed... ta da.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Yes, we do have different dev/test/prod environments. I interpreted the email to mean that they plan on using different schemas for security reasons.... could that be it?

I should probably talk to him, to get a better understanding of what he means, but I'm not sure what to ask... hence my post.

• Why not send him a link to this thread and allow him to respond directly?

• Some good advice above, and I'd definitely like to hear the developer chime in.

However I'd argue that developers don't need any access to production unless they use the app as a user. Meaning if they submit expenses, they need to be a regular user on the expense app.

For the dbo issue, honestly to keep track of things I wouldn't want too many people to be able to put something in the main schema. Having a choke point, a couple people that can change the schema from an individual's to the dbo or main schema, is a good thing.

• nataliehinnen (5/1/2009)

I interpreted the email to mean that they plan on using different schemas for security reasons.... could that be it?

Could be, but again there's no logical reason hit to specify schemas and, if they are going for multiple schemas specifying the schema is no longer optional. If the call's not qualified and the object's not in the user's default schema or in dbo, it will not be found.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply