Best practices connecting to remote server instance

• Hello!

I have a company laptop that I work from both in the office (on our domain) and remotely - soon to be through a VPN.

One set of our servers are hosted and are not on our domain. Actually, I don't think they're set up at all with a domain scenario. They are two virtual machines - a prod machine with one instance and a test machine with a test and a dev instance of SQL Server 2008.

"Everyone" - myself, two application developers, and a web developer - remote into the virtual servers through Remote Desktop to "do our stuff". (yes, app and web are on the same virtual box as the SQL Server - future plans are to have an app/web box separate from the SQL Server, but not now, unfortunately).

I have googled and searched the forums here but haven't really found the type of guidance I was hoping for. I found HOW to do some things, but not reasons why you should or shouldn't use any certain method.

Can anyone let me know if it is considered a better practice to set up remote connections on SQL Server and connect using SSMS on a local machine (in my case, anyway), or to continue to remote in through remote desktop and use SSMS on the server? I've done some research on the security issues of Remote Desktop; I'm sure there are security issues of enabling/setting up remote connections through SQL Server so SSMS can connect. I'm just not aware of all of the pros and cons to each and would prefer to learn from someone else's experiences!

Thank you very much for any advice

• If you can get SSMS to connect, it's usually okay to do so. Probably will need to use an SQL Server login since your domain login (even through VPN) won't work in the hosted environment.

I've actually had situations where I needed to VPN from home to work, use RDP to get to my work desktop via that VPN tunnel, and then RDP from the work desktop to a hosted server on a different domain. So I'm using remote-remote-desktop in that case. But that was due to VPN limitations, not any real security needs.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• not sure there is a best practice

I personally have servers from sql2000 to sql2008r2

I tend to remote into them to use the tools on the servers

to make sure that i am using the version of ssms because maintenance plans have issues etc. But if you dont care about that using the newest stuff locally doenst cause problems

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply