Best Practice Documents and VMWare

• Hi Everyone

We are about to go on an upgrade journey performing an in-place upgrade of 2008 R2 server to 2016. Also installing service packs for all our 2012 and 2014 server.

We run all our servers on VMware which are capable of snapshotting the VM.

I will be performing full SQL backups prior to upgrades.

I have been looking for documents from Microsoft that will confirm using VMware snapshot is compatible with the upgrade processes above.

Also documents that detail Best practice on

Best practice for VMware snapshot with SQL server

Best practice in performing the 2008 R2 upgrades

Best practice in performing service pack installs

I know the change board will be asking for the above documents before proceeding.

Any help in locating these documents will be well received.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Kevin

• service packs may be uninstalled so no real need for worry there.

For the SP install and the inplace upgrade perform these in your test environments first to be sure you'll have no surprises

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• The SQL backups are of course a good idea but even better is to create a snapshot of the virtual machine as well as a rollback mechanism in case it goes wrong.

The last time I completed this sort of upgrade we did the following:

- Snapshot the VM machine in the test Environment

- Disconnect all connections to the database server and stop all application Services

- Perform the upgrade in all respects

- Start application Services

- Test, test, test

Repeat the process for the production Environment

If you already have the VM Servers in place and they work properly then there is very Little else to do. Most of the problems occur when moving from a physical Environment to a VM.....

• Thanks everyone for replying.

I know the correct process etc.. but was looking for documents to backup the process from Microsoft

Kevin

• I understand your need to see documentation from Microsoft but the only definitive documentation you can use as an argument for and against is that which you yourself have accrued through testing and evaluation. Micosoft doesn't know what your environment is.

This would be a good time to do some proactive work and get results that really do relate to what you are working with and not what Microsoft assumes you might be using.

Trying to bring that Point over to Managers is the reall challenge though....

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply