best online tool to store work notes?

• I'm looking for recommendations on an online place to record, review, and search notes and documentation that I make during the day on my work activities, preferably with the ability to upload attachments.

Anyone have a recommendation for such an online tool? I have tried Google Sites, which I like, but is a little more work to edit than I want, especially when I have connectivity problems there (which seems to happen often). I am currently attaching notes to my work-related Remember The Milk tasks, which is working pretty well so far, but I think I need something with more ability to organize and expand on those notes.

I want to record what I did with a particular task with enough detail to get back up to speed quickly on it a year later when I review the notes. I'm in one of those once a year large data processing tasks right now, and am willing and able to put in the detail necessary to make this task that much easier next year, for myself or whomever next needs to do it.

Do you keep an online engineering notebook? If you do, what do you use?

• It's not designed for single person use, but Yahoo!Groups has a database feature (more like a flat file that calls itself a database) plus a files section for attaching files. You can start threads to yourself, and have them emailed to any account you want, in which you can make your notes.

It's free to use, and you don't have to let anyone subscribe, or you can use it to connect everyone in your work place.

I use Yahoo!Groups for communicating with organizations I'm a member of, but as a rule, I don't like public sites for uploading private data. I'm too paranoid for that. If I need that functionality, I'm likely to install Sharepoint on my home network or create my own.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I use Evernote. It has apps for phones and desktops. You can share notebooks among people. Not sure about attachments, but I'd check it out.

• Evernote is the winner. I am using it now, and finding it working well for my needs (after paying $45 for an annual subscription so I could upload my SQL scripts and results). Also integrates with my iPhone, which is nice. Thanks for the pointer.

• I recommend Microsoft OneNote which you may be able to use for free via Office.Live.com

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Glad you like it. I use Live Mesh as well, to sync writing drafts, sql scripts, etc. across computers. For short notes, I like having them on my phone. Plus I will take notes about things at events and post them from my iPhone.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply