Best Insert Option

• Hi,

I have Asset table ,I need to insert the AssetId into Asset table from AssetUser table

I have mentioned 2 options Can u Plz Guide me towards the Best option

considering the prfomance

Option1

declare @AssetTable(AssetId INT,Id INT IDENTITY(1,1))

INSERT INTO @AssetTable(AssetId)

SELECT AssetId FROM AssetUser WHERE UserId=1

while (@I<=100)
    begin
    select @AssetId=AssetId from @assetTable where Id=@I

INSERT INTO Asset(AssetId)
    SELECT @AssetId

set @i=@I+1

end

Option2

INSERT INTO Asset(AssetId)
    SELECT INSERT INTO Asset(AssetId)

Thanks in Advance

• Hi

Your first option is not a good practice since it uses a cursor (while loop) to insert 100 single rows.

Your second option seems to have a little typo, but is the right direction.

If I understood your statement you want to insert all AssetIds for a specified UserId from your AssetUser table. If I'm correct, try this:

INSERT INTO Asset (AssetId)

SELECT AssetId

FROM AssetUser

WHERE UserId = 1

Greets

Flo

• You are already performing th etrick in Option 1:

declare @AssetTable(AssetId INT,Id INT IDENTITY(1,1))

INSERT INTO @AssetTable(AssetId)

SELECT AssetId FROM AssetUser WHERE UserId=1

Why are you inserting the AssetIDs in a temporry table?

Why not directly to the Main table?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

• Most of the time cursors/loops performs poorly than set based methods with only some rare cases when loops performs better than a set-based approach.

In your case, one go insert is far better than doing N go insert of single record both performance and IO usage wise.

--Ramesh

• Thanx Ramesh....

But If the data is huge ,Is there any problem Occurs due to batch Insertion in terms of Network Traffic?

• SQL commands execute on the SQL Server, so batch Inserts should not have any network traffic issues.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Ramesh (5/4/2009)

Most of the time cursors/loops performs poorly than set based methods with only some rare cases when loops performs better than a set-based approach.

In your case, one go insert is far better than doing N go insert of single record both performance and IO usage wise.

Hi Ramesh,

Would you provide some examples where a cursor/loop based approach is superior to a set-based approach? I am just curious. I am new and trying to learn.

Regards,

Saurabh.

Saurabh Dwivedy

My Blog: http://tinyurl.com/dwivedys

For better, quicker answers, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Be Happy!
  • saurabh.dwivedy (5/8/2009)

Ramesh (5/4/2009)

Most of the time cursors/loops performs poorly than set based methods with only some rare cases when loops performs better than a set-based approach.

Hi Ramesh,

Would you provide some examples where a cursor/loop based approach is superior to a set-based approach? I am just curious. I am new and trying to learn.

Regards,

Saurabh.

Here is one of the posts where a cursor/loop based approach is superior..

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic695508-338-1.aspx

--Ramesh

• Ramesh (5/9/2009)

saurabh.dwivedy (5/8/2009)

Ramesh (5/4/2009)

Hi Ramesh,

Regards,

Saurabh.

Here is one of the posts where a cursor/loop based approach is superior..

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic695508-338-1.aspx

... and (s)he will read the next hours. I just tried the Print-view of the thread and copied all to Word. 251 pages :crazy:

:laugh:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply