Benchmark

• I have a suggestion for the great guys that run this site.

Sqlservercentral needs its very own NorthWind. A database with a couple of tables with various sizes and rows in order to assist people in benchmarking their servers. The difference between the NorthWind and, lets call it the SouthWind, is that it has BIG tables... I don't think that NorthWind has anything with more than a couple dozen rows.

We need a db with tables ranging in size from 10,000 rows to 100 mil.

That way people could attach this db, run a query and see that their machines are functioning on par with their peers and THEN determine what measures must be taken to improve their sluggish apps and what gains may be expected.

The reason I suggest this is that occasionally I read a post from people saying that they can insert 1.5 million rows in such and such a time while I think to myself, damnit, I can only insert 1000 rows in that time. I think that having the SouthWind database would give aspiring dba's a solid foundation to work from... we could say "I'm sure that my app is working as well as possible because when I run a similar query on this finely constructed SqlServeCentralSouthWind database it takes an equivalent time."

What do you guys think?

-J

• While I don't think that that will be a bad idea, what about malicious people out there?

I could run a script which would lock the server (or at least slow it to a crawl).

While 1<> 2

Begin

Select GetDate()

ENd

I would love to have a common platform where I could ask others to actually see my code running with large amounts of data.

It is however not a bad idea but I would think the site owners would be sceptical...

Cheers,

Crispin

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply