Being Reasonable

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Being Reasonable

• Great post.  As I get older I realize that everybody's situation is different and trying to put yourself in others shoes helps one to definitely be more reasonable towards others.  Finding a great team to work with is invaluable.

• Both are true for me.

• I am also an American who now works (from my home in the U.S.) for a company based in Europe (Netherlands in my case). The culture shock was significant. On the one hand, they are much more "by the book" and process driven (an ITIL Foundations Certification was a requirement to getting hired). I can't so much as force a query plan or start an Extended Events Session without doing a Change Request.

On the other hand, the work/life balance is much better than any other company I've worked for. No micromanagement, no unreasonable deadlines set "just to motivate people or they'll never do the work", etc. When there is a problem, I never feel like I have a gun to the back of my head. And problems that cause unscheduled work are rare because people aren't constantly screwing around with things in production outside of planned changes and deployments of updated software versions.

I am one of two DBAs and am on call 24 x 7 x 365. In five years, I've only been called outside of my regular work hours 3 times. I was used to that being more like 3 times per week in previous jobs. Of course, there is sometimes scheduled work on weekends once in  while, but that gives us days to fix problems that arise, instead of hours or minutes.

It just seems reasonable.

• Being polite, respectful yet determined to ensure things get done is a difficult balance.

As George Bernard Shaw put it "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

• It depends on the unreasonable man being able to convince others or others being willing to work with them. Driving change is uncomfortable and it does take someone willing to make others uncomfortable. A fine line between that and being too difficult for anyone to work with you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply