Beginning a CTE

• John Mitchell-245523 (6/6/2016)

Sean Lange (6/6/2016)

And let's consider the table valued function that uses a cte. If you slap a semicolon at the beginning doesn't that now make what could have been an inline table valued function a multi statement table valued function? Haven't actually explored the performance impact but it certainly is interesting.

Alas (or actually thankfully) not. ITVF definitions start [font="Courier New"]RETURNS TABLE[/font], whereas MTVFs start [font="Courier New"]RETURNS @return_variable TABLE <table_type_definition>[/font], and there are other differences in syntax, too.

I didn't think the question was tricky or pedantic. It's just pointing out that if you don't terminate the previous statement, you have to put a semicolon in front of the CTE definition. Pet peeve or not, and regardless of what the documentation says or is silent on, that's perfectly legal.

John

Actually, if you add a statement using a CTE after a statement that is not properly terminated, go back and properly terminate it. Simple.

Microsoft has deprecated NOT terminating statements with a semicolon. MS SQL Server T-SQL developers should get in the habit of terminating all SQL statements.

• Lynn Pettis (6/6/2016)

Actually, if you add a statement using a CTE after a statement that is not properly terminated, go back and properly terminate it. Simple.

That's what I do to maintain semi-colons in their proper place and to encourage proper usage of them. However, I do understand the intent of the QotD however it was presented.

• Aaron N. Cutshall (6/6/2016)

Lynn Pettis (6/6/2016)

That's what I do to maintain semi-colons in their proper place and to encourage proper usage of them. However, I do understand the intent of the QotD however it was presented.

I don't agree with teaching a crutch.

However, I do understand the intent of the QotD however it was presented.

What was that intent, to encourage sloppy coding?

• Toreador (6/6/2016)

Aaron N. Cutshall (6/6/2016)

However, I do understand the intent of the QotD however it was presented.

What was that intent, to encourage sloppy coding?

Yes, it's a lazy approach that some do to "begin" their CTE with a semi-colon and I do disagree with that approach. I believe the QotD was to highlight the wrong perception that many people have that a CTE MUST begin with a semi-colon due to the over abundant examples that do just that.

• Lynn Pettis (6/6/2016)

It's not teaching the crutch, but teaching that the crutch is NOT NECESSARY.

Lynn Pettis (6/6/2016)

It's not teaching the crutch, but teaching that the crutch is NOT NECESSARY.

But it is encouraging it.

• The answer should be No. Open a new window and paste in the following and it works just fine:

with myCTE(n)

as

(select 1

)

select * from myCTE

No semicolons anywhere in the window. I'd like my point, please.

• tom.w.brannon (6/7/2016)

The answer should be No. Open a new window and paste in the following and it works just fine:

with myCTE(n)

as

(select 1

)

select * from myCTE

You just got it by posting. If all you are worried about is the points you can have mine. I tried to turn them in for a free t-shirt but it still doesn't work. 😀

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (6/7/2016)

tom.w.brannon (6/7/2016)

The answer should be No. Open a new window and paste in the following and it works just fine:

with myCTE(n)

as

(select 1

)

select * from myCTE

You just got it by posting. If all you are worried about is the points you can have mine. I tried to turn them in for a free t-shirt but it still doesn't work. 😀

Perhaps these points could be given a suitable value so that people can understand what they are worth: perhaps it wouldn't cause Redgate Software to go bust if each person who succeeds in makeing 10 billion points were to be awarded a tea shirt (not in exchange for the points, they could be allowed to keep them) provided of course that each point expires 100 years after being awarded.

note: a tea shirt is not a T-shirt, unless the T-shirt is made of cloth woven from fibre extracted from used tea leaves.

edit: the trouble with such a scheme is that it grossly exaggerates the value of the points.

Tom

• The points are not merely "bragging" points. They are a way to recognize the tremendous effort made so generously by the heavy hitters providing answers and guidance to the entire community.

These points also help me remind myself when I see a contribution from a heavy-hitter to take it seriously even in the case of controversial issues (the Forum have had their share of 20-page long threads).

I've been on this forum for years and I can't even fathom how on earth someone could have amassed 10,000 such "points". How can they even find the time to breathe ?

• I read the latest version of the "correct" answer again, and it's rather amusing.

if we start with two statements and the first is not terminated by a semicolon, if we add one semicolon before the second statement we still have two statements but now the first is terminated by a semicolon. So we don't have a semicolon between two statements.

So in order to add a semicolon between the statements, as required by this answer, we must be adding two semicolons - the one that terminates the first statement and the one which goes in between the two statements.

I don't think that's actually what we need to do to make the second statement (which begins with a CTE) work so it looks to me as if there's still some tweaking needed in the wording.

Tom

• I still think points should be awarded back, and I don't usually advocate this position.

• I decided to look at the msdn page referenced and I was amazed!

Not ONE of the sample CTEs was started with a semicolon. The CTE was either the first statement in the batch or the previous statement was PROPERLY terminated with a semicolon.

/https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175972.aspx

• Terje Hermanseter (6/6/2016)

Sean Lange (6/6/2016)

What is one more semicolon among ctes? 😀

#MakeSemicolonsGreatAgain

Thanks. I needed a good laugh. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply