Be Professional

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Be Professional

• "The tower is saying it's our choice to continue to Yakima or turn around," he yelled over the din of the engines, "But I think we're gonna give it a try."

This probably why some organizations try to maintain a buffer or filter between IT developers and the stake holders, clients, or end users. Developers express their concerns to management, and then management decides how, when, or if to express the concern to a broader audience with the business in a diplomatic way. That's one of the traits what separate a senior level developer from a junior level developer; knowing how to express concepts or issues to the business.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Maybe "Appearance" would be better than Fitness. Wearing properly fitting clothes and being properly groomed helps convey that image of professionalism. Looking like you slept in your suit and just rolled out of bed? Not so much.

Yeah. It's still superficial. But there's something to be said for looking the part.

• mwyss (8/4/2015)

Maybe "Appearance" would be better than Fitness. Wearing properly fitting clothes and being properly groomed helps convey that image of professionalism. Looking like you slept in your suit and just rolled out of bed? Not so much.

Yeah. It's still superficial. But there's something to be said for looking the part.

Here is an actual snapshot of IT workers, all dressed professionally and happily collaborating over a project plan in an immaculately clean white office space.

http://prospectus.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/business-people-working-together-istock_000017346252medium.jpg

He he... no, not really. It's just a stock marketing photo. :hehe:

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Being successful and appearing to be successful are two different things.

I get a kick out of some judges on American Idol or America's Got Talent when they say that one act or the other just does not look the part. How does the part look? If we went by looks where would Janis Joplin have been, or Joe Cocker?

And if an intelligent person has to look the part, just look at the pictures of Albert with his tongue stuck out.

Choose who you follow, one who is right, or the one who looks right.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Miles Neale (8/6/2015)

Being successful and appearing to be successful are two different things.

I get a kick out of some judges on American Idol or America's Got Talent when they say that one act or the other just does not look the part. How does the part look? If we went by looks where would Janis Joplin have been, or Joe Cocker?

And if an intelligent person has to look the part, just look at the pictures of Albert with his tongue stuck out.

I guess the same could be said for business intelligence reports and dashboards; often times a lot of effort is put into wiz bang presentation, but the underlying data or final analysis are wrong.

• Miles Neale (8/6/2015)

Being successful and appearing to be successful are two different things.

It is all a question of timing. Janis Joplin and Joe Cocker probably wouldn't be given the opportunity today. Albert Einstein may have not presented the papers he would be lead researcher on nowadays (science is a team game now).

I find people can live with a bit of humour. If they can't either I haven't noticed or I have ignored them. Probably the latter.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply